About Me

Friday, October 30, 2020

What a Day!

I got up at 9 a.m., showered and headed out to have my tires changed. It took  about an hour including the wait for the car in the line before me. Then I went to the bank to take care of a small problem I had with online banking. I got blocked since I could not remember my password and had lost my debit car. They gave me a debit card right on the spot. Impressive! I will soon be transferring some money over to that bank so, I needed to go there.

After the bank, I went to my sister's jeweler to pick up the gold coins I had ordered. The jeweler is a nice man and we had tea and chatted a little bit. I even got to meet his wife.

Then I went to see my cousins who own a gift shop. We were chatting away when I realized that I was going to be late for my Zoom meeting so, I rushed out. 

All of a sudden several friends started calling me and as I answered the first one, I found out that a big earthquake hit Izmir and some buildings collapsed and people got buried under rubble. All my friends were inquiring after my SIS and BIL who were luckily here in Ankara. After I answered all calls, I started making my own calls and found out that everybody I know are OK. It is relieving but, there are people badly injured and some who lost their lives. We do not know the aftermath yet. Many people will be spending the night in their cars afraid to go inside.

And, on my way home, I found out that my meeting is actually next Friday. Rolling my eyes at myself...

So, I stopped at a hobby store to pick up some yarn to try my hand in making granny squares this winter.

SIS and BIL came home very exhausted so, we ordered food.

It was such a whirlwind of a day. 

16 comments:

  1. I have been thinking of you since I read the news on bbc. I'm so glad to learn that you and your family are safe. I hope the death toll in Izmir is not too many, tho any loss is sad. Best, Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnk you Celie. So far 28 deaths and about 900 wounded but, there are still people under rubble.

      Delete
  2. Glad you and your loved ones and friends are ok. Getting the meeting date wrong sounds like something I would do, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw the news, so glad you & your family are OK. so sad to see the damage & loss of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the news about the earthquake. I'm glad you and yours are safe, although my heart goes out to those that weren't quite so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of now 35 dead. A man lost his wife and two kids, his home, everything he had. So so sad.

      Delete
  5. I was wondering about your family, so glad they were not in Izmir and that everyone is ok but it is so terrible what happened. Will 2020 never end?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am new to your blog. I am glad you are okay and my thoughts go to all affected by the earthquake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to hear you & your family are safe, and sending good thoughts on the recovery

    ReplyDelete
  8. Farah. I am so glad your family and friends are ok, but poor others who didn’t make it. If you can tell us how we can help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Farah. I checked the websites where one can donate food packages, meals or hygiene products but they are all in Turkish although they accept foreign credit card transactions. Thank you for your kindness. Let me check further to see if I can find a web site in English as well.

      Delete