About Me

Saturday, May 29, 2021

Alcoholism or any other Substance Abuse

Yesterday night, I woke up to a very loud swearing and screaming. It was also echoing through the apartment complex we live here in Antalya. This went on for about a half hour. That guy must have some lungs! 

Finally, I got fed up with it and looked to see if I could see the person. There were two of them, one causing the trouble, other trying to get him inside the building next door. I noticed other people at their windows and balconies. 

The guy was extremely drunk and was naming names, swearing and loudly yelling. I expected police to arrive for a while but, when he started saying things like taking his own life or murdering people, I decided to call the cops. As I was talking to the police hotline, 155 in this country, my uncle woke up to the noise. 

Meanwhile the second guy was able to push him into the building and take him to his apartment where he started throwing things on the floor and breaking glass. He came out to his balcony, then got dragged bck in by the second guy. I taped some of what he said just in case, he actually killed someone. My uncle was surprised that I did, because, it never occurred to him. I told himw I watch way too many cop shows.

I called the cops a second time to make them hurry and finally, as soon as the 3 police cars and one ambulance arrived, his apartment went black and we could not get to see or hear him anymore.

It took the police to get into his unit at least a good 40 minutes. I was hoping they would kick the door down but, I am not sure about the law. They tried to convince the guy to open up but finally, they kicked it down. I was worried about the second guy who was trying to control him because, from what I could see, he was skinny and had a hard time controlling the drunk guy.

I listened to the police and a medic trying to reason with the guy to take him to the hospital but, he did not budge. This went on for about an hour and I think, they left one officer with him when he calmed down. I am not sure though. All the police cars and the ambulance went away and it was peaceful after that.

Since my uncle lives here, he knows the person and told me his story. The guy is an alcoholic and he used to have his family, a wife, a son and an elderly mom living in the same apartment. When he started getting extremely drunk and abusive, the family had to leave him. His son kept on living with him for a while but, after he graduated College, he moved out too. Apparently, these episodes happen from time to time and when he does this, he feels ashamed afterwards, locking himself in, sleeping during the day and drinking at night. He seems to be well off on his own so, even though he does not work, he lives on whetever income he has and drive a luxury car.

It is so sad to see lives wasted like that due to substance abuse. Imagine how his family felt when they had no choice other than leaving him. Imagine how his son feels when his father got so out of control that he caused episodes like last night. I am sure he does not want to be who he is either. Just sad...

So, it was en eventful night. Oh well...

This weekend is the last under curfew and the Government will issue a new set of rules for gradual opening. I am hoping my beach will be opened too. So, there is something I am looking forward to.


4 comments:

  1. what an eventful, noisy night for all his neighbors. I'm surprised the guy helping him (son?) didn't just open the door for the police.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to find out that the skinny guy was actually his son. I have no idea why he did not open the door. May be he went away before the cops showed up. Who knows?

      Delete
  2. As someone who lived with a violent alcoholic for 26 years I know that feeling all too well. Just listening for his key in the door at 2 a.m. and knowing that he would be looking for an argument was pure hell! Thank god he ran off with a skank and I got my divorce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very long time. I wish he had run off earlier. I think you are an awesome mom to have raised such kind young men all through that difficult time.

      Delete