About Me

Thursday, May 27, 2021

Being Nice or Not: Part 2

This is a slightly different story than yesterday's. 

Before I moved to my current apartment, I used to rent an apartment in the same neighborhood not too far from where I live now. There were two buildings and a short driveway between them for us to reach the parking lot behind the buildings. As usual the parking spaces were scarce and people used to park on the driveway and on the street as well. The management kept telling the residents to use only the right side of the driveway to park coming towards the parking lot and not use the left side because, larger vehicles such as ambulances, fire department trucks could not turn into the parking lots where the building entrances were located. They put up signs for it too.

There was this one guy who almost always parked on the left side. Nobody else but, this just one person. The building management asked him kindly, warned him, the neighbors pleaded with him but no! The stubborn idiot kept parking his car at the same spot no matter what. Walking 50 meters at most was too much for him.

One day as I was sitting at the kitchen table having dinner, I saw an ambulance with lights and sirens coming our way. I then noticed that the ambulance was trying to turn into the parking lot but, because of the car blocking it's way, it could not. The paramedics had to get off and run into our building. Meanwhile everybody was trying to get a hold of the guy to have him move away his car. A few minutes later, the paramedics had to carry the patient on a stretcher all the way to the ambulance and took off.

The next day, I have learnt that the guy who kept parking on the left side had a heart attack. It was him who needed emergency care. When the ambulance arrived, out of panic, his family could not locate the car keys and could not move the car. He passed away right then and there. I do not know whether he could have been saved or not, even if the ambulance could go to the building entrance. I do not know if the few minutes the paramedics lost would have made a difference. 

All I know is, I am glad it was him who died, nobody else.

 It must have been Karma, I guess.

13 comments:

  1. Wow... that took a turn I did not expect. I wonder if he was out of shape and that is why he parked where he did? Little did he know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it was about being out of shape at all. We are talking about a few yards at most. He was just a stubborn man.

      Delete
  2. My first thought was "karma" too. Some people are just so selfish aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 50 meters or 164 feet, the equivalent, is too far for me to walk because of my back. It has nothing to do with being stubborn or selfish. People are too quick to judge with unseen disabilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was not the case. People with difficulties were assigned parking spots by the management.

      Delete
    2. No excuse for parking in a fire zone. If you can’t walk to your spot and need to break the law by parking illegally, you need to move and find a place with parking that suits you. Far too selfish to be entitled to a fire lane!

      Delete
  4. Always a guy! But, yikes. Karma was definitely out to prove a point there. Some people! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What he was doing was selfish and dangerous. It could have been a building caught on fire or somebody who needed emergency care. If he had a dsability or difficulty, he would have been assigned a parking spot just like another neighbor.

      Delete
  5. wow - that is total karma! Like you said, glad it wasn't someone else who suffered from his selfishness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been awful, if it was somebody else, yet I wish he survived the ordeal. May be at least then, he would have understood why everybody else complied with the rules. Or may be not...

      Delete