About Me

Friday, May 7, 2021

Vacuum Cleaner Dilemma

With all my good intentions, I decided to vacuum the apartment today. There are two old VCs at this apartment. One heats up and shuts itself down after a while and, the other has a damaged top cover.

I decided to use the second one and of course I managed to break the handle of the top before I even started vacuuming so, it cannot be used.

The first thought that came to my mind was to get rid of both and buy a new one. My sister and I started exchanging messages as to what to get while I kept sending her my "finds" online. Then, I remembered that I am generally a frugal person so, I spoke to the Customer Rep and found out that the top cover is available as a spare part and can be delivered to my doorstep. If I wanted them to install it, that would cost extra.

I went to check to see if I can replace the cover myself and found out that, it is very easy. So, at a fraction of the cost of a new VC, I will be able to make this guy work. Isn't frugality fantastic?

I vacuumed most of the apartment with the other VC and I got tired, heated up and shut down before it did.

So, both VCs are staying. One will be patched up and the other will be used as a backup. My sister agreed that buying a new VC for an apartment that is barely used is a waste. Besides, we do not want to add to the landfills.

Then, the not so frugal side of me told me to order dinner instead of cooking tonight. Thinking about how much money I ended up saving, I decided to treat myself. Earned it, right?


6 comments:

  1. Unfortunately I had to buy a new one. I was picking up lint after the vacuum was used, it had a burnt smell and no suction. I loved that vacuum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right about trying to keep something from landfill. It's an uphill battle though isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is. I cringe especially when I come back from grocery shopping. So much packing material.

      Delete
  3. Vacuum cleaners seem to hate me, LOL. Good for you for finding the replacement part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do not mke the appliances sturdy anymore. I was surprised to find the spare part.

      Delete