About Me

Sunday, October 9, 2022

Things I can't understand

I think, I am a bit too sensitive when it comes to family. Having lost my dad when I was only 27 and then having lost mom on my birthday two years ago were the most traumatic events of my life. There is not a single day that I do not think about them. I dote on my SIS, her husband and deeply care about Uncle and my two cousins. Their health and well being are important to me.

I sometimes envy my peers whose parents are still alive. Yes, I know some of them are struggling with their care and their ailments but, I still do envy them.

I have talked about an old couple who were my mom and dad's friends from my childhood neighborhood on this blog before. Whenever I am in Ankara, I always go visit, take the lady out to run errands and when I'm home, I call them regularly to see how they are doing. The gentleman is bed ridden. They had lost their older son and their younger son lives in the UK. He had a heart problem, the doctors put a couple of stents in his arteries and he told his parents that the doctor forbade him to travel. Mom had stents put in and we traveled like crazy so, I did not quite get that.  Besides, he is a musician and he plays at bars and clubs. This was almost two years ago and the pandemic also made it hard to travel so, he could never come visit his parents during this time. Or, so we thought. I just recently found out that he and his wife did come to Turkey for a vacation a month or so ago and did not tell his family. Apparently, since his parents live in the suburbs, it is inconvenient for him to go visit them without a car but, he had no problems visiting some vacation spots during his visit.

I hope, his parents never find out about this because they will be so heartbroken. 

I do not get this. I have known these people all my life and his parents were as attentive and as dedicated as my parents were. We grew up in the same neighborhood. Went to similar schools if not the same. I know for a fact that, his parents never laid a hand on either of the two brothers and were always loving parents.

I understand some people may have been mistreated or even abused when they were children and if they do not treat their families well when they become adults, I can symphatise with that. In fact, there was this one neighbor who used to beat the crap out of his son in our apartment building and my mom had to intervene and save the boy from his father on several occasions. That guy turned out to be a very decent man and has a wonderful family of his own. And surprisingly, he treated his parents with respect despite his dad's oddities.

The world is a weird place and people are just odd I guess.

Today, I set things straight in my home, baked a bread with this recipe which I found through Acre Homestead on YouTube. I watch the owner of the channel preserve, prepare, bake and garden with awe. 

I don't have to worry about meals till Friday so, I will take the opportunity to clean my home, go see my eye doctor and get together with a friend this week. 

My SIS and BIL are coming to visit over the weekend. They are best friends with this couple and the young woman will have an important surgery on Tuesday. They have always been there for my SIS and BIL with every hardship they had so, it is important for them to come visit as well.

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

12 comments:

  1. Amazing how you care for those elderly family friends! How wonderful. That said - I don’t think it’s fair to call that don odd or his behavior odd. To each is own. We don’t know full stories or even just what may be going on in their own life and choices. I wouldn’t call it odd. I just accept others and it’s really not our business. Said in a friendly way meant to make you not worry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I just hope the parents never hear about this. Other than that, I can't do anything about other people.

      Delete
  2. I think I erased my comment when I was trying to copy a link, so this may be a duplicate!

    I lost both of my parents before I turned 30, so I understand where you're coming from.

    I've made that bread many times, but there's a much quicker version (if you're interested). Go to jennycancook.com, and search "fastest no-knead bread". I think you can make it from start to finish in less than three hours (for those times when you don't plan ahead).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear that you have lost your parents early too. It is extremely hard. Thanks for the bread recipe. I will try that as soon as I can.

      Delete
  3. The sons relationship is not your business. Lest not we judge. We don’t know the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know the story. I have known these people since I was a baby. That is about 56 years. I am just upset because these parents deserve better. Thank you for putting me in my place whoever you are.

      Delete
  4. I can't understand people like that either!! My dad died in 2005 and then my mom in 2016 and in all that time my sister (who lives in Denmark) came home just once (because they wanted a beach holiday)! No phone calls, no zoom calls, no Christmas or birthday cards - nothing! At mom's funeral my brother asked why she didn't keep in touch because goodness knows we were all there for her when her bastard husband ran off and left her with nothing - and the only thing she could say was "I don't know"! So when my brother's wife died suddenly and then my brother three years later we never told her! Haven't spoken to her since 2015 and none of us know why because we couldn't have asked for a better family! People are strange aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry to hear your story. It is sad. e-Hugs!

      Delete
    2. Isn’t that sad. I truly think some people are just that self centered and who knows why! I think everyone should have have at least some decency or at the least not wanting to cause hurt to your own parents. This of course barring significant abuse. This coming even from my childhood with two alcoholic parents. I strive to be a better kinder person.

      Delete
  5. I was 14 when I lost my father. It was very sad but it would have been more devasting to lose my mother at that age as she was the one who took care of everything Financially and emotionally. I also find it very odd and very sad for a son not to visit his elderly parents. He is just an ungrateful son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ungrateful is the correct word for this situation. So sorry that your dad passed when you were so young.

      Delete
  6. Easy to sit around and judge and push your views. You have no idea what the whole story is. Has chosen as best for himself and family. Leave that along. You do not know the whole story. Just like you hope the parents don’t learn of his visit. I really hope the son Doesn’t know this judgment on him you spread. Real shame but he probably should be made award. .

    ReplyDelete