About Me

Friday, February 21, 2020

2020 Vacation Plans

Yesterday I was talking to my friends in the US and one of them asked me my vacation plans for 2020. I told him that I did not know yet.

Then I started thinking about it. My country is being dragged into war in Syria by our incompetent government and allegedly it's allies. The incompetent government keeps pressuring the Central Bank of Turkey to lower the interest rates and nowadays the interest rate for TL is negative. This makes foreign currencies leap so, it is a de-facto devaluation. The Central Bank of Turkey is no longer an independent organization which is not only wrong but very scary. The economy is in real bad shape and I do not see any major steps taken to improve it. I think, the current president is a very bad person and intentionally dragging the country towards doom. I see no way to stop him. He has control over everything.

I believe my country is headed towards more hardship and very dark days. This means we should do our best to protect ourselves and our belongings as best as we can.

So, I have no vacation plans this year. My sister and BIL live in Izmir which is a beach city. My uncle spends most of his time in Antalya which is another beach city. So, I can get my swimming and beach fix utilizing places we already own. If I plan my visits to these places carefully and spend enough time, I can optimize my gas consumption which is a major expense.

My BFF may want to visit me in Turkey but, she does not think she can make it more than 10 days. If she comes for a visit, then I will modify my current plan. After all, it will be her 2nd visit in 30 years.

Staycation is not a bad idea either.




9 comments:

  1. I think you are right to batten down the hatches, so sad that you have to even think about living through war. I truly hope it get's stopped before that happens

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about you and what your government is doing. I simply do not understand why people think this is a good thing to do (destroy a country to 'own' it). What's that saying, 'absolute power corrupts absolutely'? It's happening everywhere - I have zero faith in the current UK clown show - and is frightening. I think you're right to stay where you are for the foreseeable future. Stay safe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you NLA. Nothing makes sense on in this world anymore.

      Delete
  3. I hate to see Turkey being dragged down like this. It's never the rich that suffer anyway is it. But "having" to take a vacation in Turkey sounds like pure heaven to me. I love your country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! When you come for a visit, I would love to play tour guide in Istanbul. Just let me know when.

      Delete
  4. I think of you & your family often (since you're the only ones I "know" in Turkey) & pray that things will settle rather than escalate. Some of us are having the same fears in the US right now with Donald Dictator in office. I am stressed to the max & it's affecting my life in many ways. I cannot imagine what you are feeling & thinking. Take care of yourself & prepare as best you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. With the stupid people in office, I cannot imagine how things will settle down.

      Delete