About Me

Monday, February 10, 2020

Nice Weekend

My SIS and BIL were here over the weekend. I have seen her for the first time in over 4 months so, it was a happy and nice weekend for me.

SIS had some overdue doctor appointments and BIL needed to check up on his parents.  He cannot bear to see his mom as an invalid so, every visit is very painful. His dad is a stubborn old man and he drives poor BIL crazy. They have a live-in caregiver but his dad meddles with everything. He is a bit of a penny pincher. However, I also feel sorry for him too because I am sure he is very bored. He is 81 and he probably did not envision this for his retirement life. His wife has become an invalid about 8 years ago due to a stroke and ever since, life has been very difficult for them. BIL is an only child so, whenever he needs help my uncle and I step up but, if he had siblings, it would have been different.

Anyway, I picked up SIS from her last appointment Saturday afternoon and went out for lunch. Afterwards, we ran some errands for her. BIL called as we were getting ready to go home and told us that his father wanted to visit my mom since she was so sick a few weeks ago because of the RA. I guess the poor man gets very bored as well. We told him to bring him for dinner.

I ordered fish from the downstairs fishmonger. They cooked the fish for us and delivered, so, all I had to do was to fix a salad and set the table. I had a grilled salmon whereas, the rest of them had fried whiting. My sister bought some banana and strawberry rolls as dessert, which we served with tea after dinner

We had breakfast yesterday morning and then SIS and BIL went to see his parents. They came home around 5 p.m. and we took care of some things around the apartment for my mom. Then we took them to the airport because it was too cold. It was well below freezing and the wind made it even colder.

SIS and BIL want to buy a small apartment here because, they still have their master bedroom here in the apartment which my mom is now occupying. It is a huge space that mom will eventually need to use. I told them not to rush and look for reasonable places and not spend too much money on a small apartment.

I am still very confused about whether I should move back to Ankara or stay put in Istanbul. I need to go home and be on my own for a while. My uncle will come back in a few days and depending on the road conditions, I will either go to Istanbul right away and come back for mom's control appointment on the 28th or, go after the 28th and spend most of March in Istanbul. Need to think.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure it was good for you BIL's dad to get a break and have dinner with you all. We all seem to live so much longer lives now, but a lot of it doesn't seem to be very good quality, sadly.

    ReplyDelete