About Me

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Missing my Home

I left my apartment on October 22nd for my vacation and came back home on January 8th. I unpacked, did tons of laundry, packed again and came to Ankara on January 13th. The first two weeks, I had been taking mom to the hospital mostly. After she recovered, we had been organizing her new apartment.

So far, I have helped mom organize the kitchen cabinets, her closet and drawers, the bathroom drawers, the closet at the entrance and the closet in the room that I stay. I donated all that she wanted to get rid of. She wanted new ottomans and some other smallish things. I found them online and upon her approval, I have ordered them. There are two closets/cupboards in the balcony to be organized but since, it is too cold, she wants to organize them when it warms up possibly in early April.

I am thinking of organizing all hand tools because, there are multiples of some of them and the extras can be set aside for my SIS and BIL for the new apartment they intend to buy over here.

So, since January 12th, I have been here and I am very homesick.

Uncle is coming tomorrow and my mom's control appointment is on February 28th. Depending on the test results etc., I am hoping to go back home right after that. Uncle can take her to the doctor's too but, I go in with her and talk to her doctors myself. So, I will wait.

Mom thinks and expects me to be back quickly but, I think I will stay in Istanbul for at least a month. There is so much to do at home and many friends to see.  Needless to say, having lived on my own for all my life, I need my space and time. I was alone only for about 10-12 days when I was on my road trip in November.

Don't get me wrong, I love my family and my friends and I feel truly blessed by having so many who do care about me. On the other hand, I need my "me" time doing things I want to do and not having to think about things for others at least for a while.

I also need to talk to my friend about the new business prospect and that requires at least 2-3 meetings.

We were preparing to sell mom's apartment and buy my SIS and BIL a new one closer to where she now lives which is their apartment. However, it looks like the apartment will not be sold for the amount we were hoping for so, I suggested that we could replace the kitchen and other things to their liking and they can use that apartment till they retire and come back to Ankara which is at least 7,5 years away. We will see which course of action we will take.

My sister says if the apartment is sold, half of it should be mine. My lovely stupid little baby sister! When will she get that she is the world to me and what I have is hers? I love her to the moon and back!


6 comments:

  1. Good for you knowing that home is home and nothing is like home and a little space, your own little space to do as you wish. That doesn't mean you don't care about your friends and family. Glad your Mom is doing ok, hard when health issues arise like this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am very glad mom has recovered rather fast. RA is a chronic disease and we do not know what to expect but, she is 77. Usually a lot younger people get this and it must be a lot harder.

      Delete
  2. I totally get that you must miss your home and your own routine! You and your family have an amazing relationship with each other and money. That is pretty unheard of in this country. The one time we tried to own something (a small business) with one of Dh's sisters, she ended up suing us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people in this country have terrible relationships with family and money too. I think, the reason why we are the way we are is that our family is really small, actually tiny and we genuinely love each other.

      Delete
  3. I agree with One Family - you have a lovely relationship with your family and no amount of money can replace that (although I do understand your need for some alone time too)!

    ReplyDelete