About Me

Monday, February 3, 2020

A Mango Brings Back Memories

Today, mom and I walked into the grocery store and saw a guy peeling mangoes. He offered us a piece and we bought one to bring home. I do not normally buy mangoes because, I cannot be sure of the ripeness. When they are cleaned, it is easier to pick one that is really yummy.

As for the memory; it is really kind of both stupid and funny. Many years ago, when I was working for  a large international company, my boss at the time was very keen on participative management. One day, he decided that all senior and middle management should get together on a weekend every 6 months or may be every quarter to talk about the status of zompany goals, new opportunities and play some games to encourage team work and such. He also said that, we should name these meetings and offered a poll for suggestions. Most people rolled their eyes and did not make a suggestion or made suggestions like "Quarterly Management Meetings" etc. Knowing that he would be upset about not enough people participating, at the last hour before the poll closing time, I  came up with: MANGO meaning Management Goes Off-Site.

Lo and behold, my boss loved it and found it very creative ?!?! Really? They were going to give me the gift of staying at a nice hotel over the weekend but, the place was too far away from where I lived and to me, it wasn't worth the effort. So, I suggested a gift card to my favorite bookstore instead. My boss was beyond pleased with that suggestion. I guess, most people would have liked the hotel stay better. I got my gift card and bought 6-7 books with it.

I am as creative as a fireplace log but hey, I won, didn't I?


6 comments:

  1. Fireplace logs are super useful and creative though! That is a great name for an otherwise mundane meeting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both creative and intelligent, I can see why he liked it. Plus mangos are fresh - likely what he was going for

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mango was a great name. I would prefer a gift card to a bookstore better also.

    ReplyDelete