About Me

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Lemon Cologne

I do not know if any other country has this; so far I have not seen any that I have been to. In Turkey, we have lemon cologne which has 80 degrees alcohol in it. It is not like eau de cologne or perfume. It smells very nice and lemony for a short while but, the smell does not stay for very long.

When I was a child, whenever you visited someone, the homeowner would offer a few splashes of this in your hands just like they would offer tea and sweets or candy. Both my grandmothers were big fans and before they went out, they would splash some in their hands and when they came back from the outside they would first wash hands and apply this cologne later on. It was also a hygiene thing. I remember my grandmother rubbing the silverware at restaurants with some of this stuff and a napkin before using them. They would also wipe certain surfaces like public high chairs.

My grandparents also used it when they had headaches because the lemony smell was refreshing for them.

It is customary for people to take a bottle as a gift when they visit sick people. My sister told me her customers kept bringing her bottles of lemon cologne so they have plenty at home.

I always kept a small bottle at home but, I never used it as much as they did. I guess it is time to use it like that.

Due to the coronavirus panic, people have started hoarding lemon cologne as well. I asked mom if she had any and I ordered two 400 ml bottles for each of us.

There are a lot of Turkish people living in the US so, I checked if Amazon carried it and here is the link for it:
Lemon Cologne

This is the most famous brand in Turkey


I guess Amazon is out too because the companies cannot meet the demand over here and I doubt they will be exporting any before they meet the demand over here. The price in the link is outrageous. That 150 ml bottle should not be more than 10 bucks. It is much cheaper over here.

Anyway, I just thought it would be interesting to share. If you can buy some later on once the panic subsides, get a bottle or two. I have a feeling you may like it.

8 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this. We had quite a lot of disinfectants in our earthquake kit and travel kits so even though everything is sold out we are in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say alcohol based disinfectants are necessary. This thing is 80 degree alcohol so, I started using it even after I wash my hands thoroughly.

      I am glad you are well stocked. Self-isolation is also a good idea till we figure out what the next weeks will bring.

      Delete
  2. Wow - never knew! Had it not been so expensive, I'd have purchased a few to keep on hand. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know if you truly need it to keep safe but, it is something very popular over here. It has been even more popular in the past.

      Delete
  3. I will admit I clicked on the link and find it interesting.
    I understand the self isolation, I just can;'t do it because of Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you need to attend to your mom. As long as you take precautions, I guess you should be fine. Stay safe and be well.

      Delete
  4. Oh my word I loved this stuff and last time I went to Turkey I bought some. Totally forgot about it and it's been standing on my kitchen shelf for ages looking me in the eye saying "hey stupid, look over here". Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You're welcome. Now you can put it into good use.

      Delete