About Me

Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Closed the books on 2020

I have an Xcel file with several sheets that I use for tracking various things including my budget.

My savings/investments consist of Turkish Liras, US. Dollars, Gold, ETFs and very little amount of Euros. I had always tracked my money converting to TL at the end of each month and that has worked fine till this year. With severe fluctuations in currency exchange rates last year, my numbers became quiet meaningless. 

I basically keep the USDs, Euros, ETFs and Gold as my long term nest egg. I have no intention to touch those for a good while. I have to support my current income tapping into my TL savings because I still have 49 mortgage payments for the Antalya home. When that payment is gone, I shall be just fine with my passive income or so I think. 

So, now I have decided to track the TLs and set my goals in the national currency only. 

Today I closed the 2020 version and started 2021. The inheritance I have received and the proceeds from the sale of my apartment made me more liquid and as always I have distributed the money among the above stated investment tools.

I am not planning any vacations in 2021 except for visiting my uncle and my sister who both live in coastal cities with nice beaches. I am sure these trips will not break the bank. I will probably go to Ankara a few times too. So, we are talking about gas money, not much else.

I am spending way more money on food than I used to. Possibly because now that we cannot dine out, I like to make fancier meal at home. The inflation on food is also a major contributor.

On the other hand, I am not spending much on gas and nothing at all on clothing. 

Can't believe 2020 is almost over and can't wait for it to be gone.


2 comments:

  1. 2020 has been one helluva year hasn't it. And I'm right with you, spending more on food but saving more by not going on holiday. I guess we'll all be glad when 2020 is over though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2020 is my Annus Horribilis. Wishing you a healthy and happy and much much better 2021!

      Delete