About Me

Friday, July 16, 2021

Detox! Exercise, Habits and Other things...

I have been losing weight since May but I am now somewhat slowed down and lost my mojo a bit so, I decided that I needed a boost and signed up for a three day detox program. I had done this before and it does help my body to re-adjust and start to lose weight again.

What I forgot was, this was a soup (!) detox. And we are living through the dog days of summer. Rolling my eyes at myself... 

Anyway, the first thing you have to drink in the morning is a cold smoothy so, that is not so bad but, then, there are 4 bottles of soups to drink and they make me sweat. Well, today is day two, so there is only one more day of torture. I do not feel hungry at all and the soups are tastewise, tolerable. My energy level is fine and I actually want to exercise which is great because, I am also trying to up the exercise I have been (or not been) getting. There are so many routines on YouTube to choose from that, not getting enough exercise or not finding something fun for thyself must be a sin. I especially enjoyed this one lately:


I think, I am going to see if I can also do some beginner Yoga. There is a mat somewhere in the apartment that I need to dig out. As we get older, we lose a lot of flexibility and I am not flexible at all. My dentist friend whom I visited on the road to Ankara told me yoga helped him with his back tremendously. It took him two months to sit cross legged but, he persevered and he started to reap the rewards.

I have already shed a bit more than 6 kilograms since May and I am hoping to have lost a total of 10 kgs by September 10th.

If I have enough water and a good book or the Internet on hand, I can sit for hours and my uncle says that is a terrible thing. He says one must get up at least every half hour to do something else or blood cloths may become a potential risk. I have a cheap smart watch that I had bought years ago, a Xiaomi MiBand 2. I programmed it to remind me to get up every half hour during the day. I can't say, I get up every half hour yet but, I am trying.

Uncle also says that, we should eat very slowly, putting the fork down with every bite and chew well. That's another weakness of mine that started in childhood. Rushed lunches while I worked kept the habit up and here we are... I am really trying to put my spoon or for down each time I use them but, sometimes it is hard to remember. My uncle told me to sit down to a well prepared dinner at the table instead of gobbling up whatever in front of the TV. He says a nicely prepped table is also appealing to the eye and makes a meal so much more enjoyable. Mindless eating he says, is a terrible thing. I hope to get there some day but, for now I still like my big tray sitting in front of the TV although I try to make it nice looking with small portions of a variety of mostly Mediterrenean style food. 

It is too hot (for me) to enjoy the outdoors these days but, I need to find a nice park where I can walk and sit while enjoying a book. However, over the weekend, ıstanbul becomes a zoo with everyone outside and it gets so crowded everywhere. Too much potential risk. I will go out on Monday, try to enjoy the outdoors for a hile and then do a grocery run to come back home. Till Monday, I will not need much although, I am completely out of tomatoes.

As for the COVID-19, I read that the Delta variant is on the rise. With tourists pouring into the country and people not taking enough precautions, I am not surprised. I used to look up the statistics that the Minister of Health announces every night  but, I do not do that anymore. I doubt those numbers are reliable anyway. However, the doctor friends are telling us, we are in a better place as compared to last year and the vaccines are keeping people away from the ER. It is great, but, in my opinion this virus is not going anywhere soon and it is up to us, the individuals to protect ourselves. So, I will keep wearing a mask, socially distancing myself and paying attention to hygiene. I used to get the flu almost every year but, ever since the mask mandate is on, I did not get sick at all. So, now I know, respiratory diseases can be avoided by simple rules. The whole world may lift the mask mandate one day but, I think, I will be wearing one for much longer. What can I say? A born pessimist.

Last night I slept rather well but, had the strangest dreams. In my dream I was giving one of my ex-bosses my father's old Peugeot 404 to keep it in his garage but, I was worried about his driving afterwards. Then I found myself sitting at a table with an ex-boyfriend (who had the most impact and who gave the worst heartache), his wife and some other people that I cannot remember. He and his wife were separated in the dream and I was acting rather cool towards everybody. What the...? This relationship started in 1990 and ended in 1993. I guess I never got over it although, I thought I did. I dated other people after him but, made the poorest choices and gave up on relationships altogether when I was just 32 years old. I am now 54 so, you do the math. Ahhh! Whatever...

My watch says, it is time to get up and do something. I will fold laundry and hop on the treadmill for a while to please Mr. Miband. Lol!

Hope, everyone has a very nice weekend, staying safe and healthy.

8 comments:

  1. I have a Fitbit, and it lets me know if I've been sitting for 50 minutes. Then, the last 10 minutes of the hour, it reminds you to walk around. It also tracks steps & exercise minutes (via elevated heart rate).

    Good luck with your fitness goals. I have pretty good routines in place, but find that it's always a struggle to stay the course & adjust when my schedule gets derailed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fitbits are cool but, way too expensive in this country due to strong dollars and Customs Taxes. I am trying but, it is hard.

      Delete
  2. I wish you well on your eating plan and reset!
    I make it a point to get up and move around every 20 minutes, and try to swim every day. Lately the weather has said otherwise though. I need to start swimming the first thing in the morning because the thunderstorms are rolling in about mid-day to late afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to go swimming early when I was in Antalya too. Like you said, there were thunderstorms and rain as well. I hope, I will have more swimming days in the Fall.

      Delete
  3. Hopefully, you will get back to exercise and eating plan. I am walking less this days due the heat outside. This means that I spend my time reading, cooking, and eating. Dangerous combination for my weight. Last year, I lost a lot of weight by walking at least 10000 steps and eleminating breads and sweets but now I am gaining it all back. I need to do something to get back to at least where I was. Maybe I need to do your detox plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. It is too hot here to walk outside too. I exercise at home these days. I have a treadmill and a bunch of exercise videos on YouTube. The detox is only for three days and makes you lose 4-5 pounds. It is a vegan, soup detox. Just gives you a boost and liquid diets are not sustainable.

      Delete
  4. Well done on the weight you've already lost. You're doing great. And I bet you'll love yoga (well I do anyway). I find it to be the most relaxing exercise ever!

    ReplyDelete