About Me

Friday, July 9, 2021

Friday This and That

I went to IKEA today and grabbed a new cutting board and a zip up organizer to put blankets in.

I started working on my closet project and yikes! Who knew things could get so dusty even inside a closet. I found and finally listed my two tennis rackets on FB for free. The grips on both of them decayed and got really yucky. I took them out but, they are still in bad shape because the inner grips are also decayed. I put the info on the listing. I wonder who will want them. I need to list the skis too. They are only collecting dust. Early Fall, I should give them away.

I found a bunch of old documents about an apartment I bought in 1991 and sold in 1994. Why did I keep them? All sorts of payment stubs, correspondences, etc. Happily tossed them. I think I am 1/3 done with the project. The cleaning lady is coming on Sunday so, I must be finished with the closet tomorrow. 

My sister finally got transferred to a branch 10 minutes from her home. Poor kid had been driving an hour and a half both ways every day for the last 5 years so, this will be a nice break for her. She thinks this will be her last branch before retirement. The bank may offer her an early retirement in a few years. She is up for retirement in 2027 but, the banks will be decreasing the number of branches in the coming years as online banking is getting more popular and keeping branches is getting expensive. Even people who were reluctant to use online banking had to use it during the pandemic and got used to it. Unless I have to get into my safety deposit box, I never go to a bank branch. With the pandemic, I found myself using less cash, more credit/debit cards. I withdrew cash from an ATM today just because I pay the cleaning lady and the water delivery guys cash.

I am sure SIS is relieved. She had been expecting this transfer and was stressing as to why it was not happening. 

As the cleaning lady will be here on Sunday, I just asked my friends what is the going rate for cleaning these days. If I asked the cleaning lady, she would not tell me anything and would leave it up to me because she is actually not a cleaning lady. She works as a receptionist/admin at a doctor's office. She is my old cleaning lady's niece. When the old lady told me she no longer could work, I was upset because I did not know how to find a new person I would trust. The niece is separated from her husband and is living with her parents and two daughters. At the time, she was not working so, what I paid her was just a bit of pocket money for her. I encouraged her to work and she got a job but, thankfully she did not give up on me. Every other Sunday, she comes to clean my apartment. We had a long break due to the pandemic but, now that I am fully vaccinated, I would like to start again. I will wear my mask and after we discuss what I would like her to do, I will go out. 

This teminds me to call my old cleaning lady next week. It has been a while since I said hello. We talked right before the New Year I think. I like her a lot and it is nice to hear what her grandkids are doing. The oldest granddaughter is a basketball player and she is very proud of her.

Hope, everyone will have a nice weekend. Take care!




2 comments:

  1. I have to get started on purging stuff again too. When you start looking some of the things you've hung on to all these years (in my case, especially clothes that no longer fit!!!) is just amazing, isn't it. And I'm so happy for your sister. I did that 90 minute one-way commute (if the going was good) for more years than I care to remember and it takes its toll, so much so that that was the reason I retired early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess purging never ends, does it? Sis is already loving the short commute. She needed this

      Delete