About Me

Monday, August 23, 2021

Cell Phone Operator Change and Vacation Plans

I feel compelled to change my cell phone operator every two years. For some stupid reason, they never give me the best possible option for new customers and every two years I have to play this game. 

My current plan was 750 minutes, 3 GB Internet and 250 SMS. I asked them if I promised to stay with them for 2 years, what would be the best plan at a minimum cost and they gave me a few options. I checked their closest rival and they gave me several more options. I decided to get the 750 minutes, 8GB Internet and 500 SMS plan which was 30% less than what my current company offered. 

I know, after two years, I will be back to my current operator. Plain stupid but, if that's the game they want to play, I will.

I do not need so much Internet on my phone since I am home most of the time but, if I can get 5GB more for a lesser price, that's fine with me. This way when I am on the road, I can stream Spotify more.

I made the switch online and they will send me the SIM card via a courier service. 

As for the second part of the heading for this post, my childhood friend took the responsibility to look up places and share them with me to decide upon them and our travel calendar. She is doing a great job, reaching out to people to gather comments on the hotels we think we will like and all that. She is also making all the reservations. At some hotels, we will be sharing a room, at some others we will be staying at separate rooms. If the per night price is lower than a certain level, we opt for separate rooms. We will start from Ankara on the 9th of September and be back on the 5th of October. I am hoping that everything will go smoothly and that we will have a good time together. 


6 comments:

  1. I'm debating whether to switch phone carriers also. Like you I don't need much in the way of internet on my phone because I'm mainly at home and on my computer anyway, but I would like to have better access to the internet when I'm out. Still giving it some thought. And that vacation of yours sounds FANTASTIC! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We are hoping we will have a good time. It is exciting but also very scary due to COVID. We both had the Pfizer vaccine but still...

      Delete
  2. I pay $80 Canadian for 15GB, unlimited texts and calls throughout Canada. Is SMS still so popular they give you only 500 a month? Most of my messaging is done via Whatsapp or Signal. I hope the trip plans continue to come together nicely~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I do not use SMS at all. May be 2-3 messages? May be not even that. 80 Canadian Dollars? That is outrageous for our standart of living over here. My new plan is less than USD 5. It is inexpensive for 750 minutes within Turkey and 8 GB of Internet. Our costs of living are worlds apart. Some things are outrageously expensive over here such as cars and gas but phone plans, not so much.

      Delete
  3. I pay upward of $60 us. I have unlimited talk and messages but only 3GB . I use whatssap a lot to talk to my family and friends in Europe, North Africa, and Brazil. I use the data to talk to family and friend through whatssap when I am walking outside. Your trip sounds great! I am so jealous. I love trips with girlfriends. Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was traveling in the US for almost 3 months last time, I bought a prepaid SIM card from MINT for USD 60 For 3 whole months. I brought my old phone with me and used the US number that comes with the prepaid plan. I do not quiet remember the detaisl but, I remember it was more than adequate. I used WhatsApp for international calls.

      Delete