About Me

Thursday, August 19, 2021

What is the house chore you hate the most?

I generally dislike all chores at home. Give me stuff to do outside and I will be happy to do all of them for you. Tell me to find and order a most extraordinary gizmo that is hard to find, no problem! I can run errands outside or search for stuff on the Internet all day long. 

I do what I have to do at home anyway but, my most hated chore is ironing. I hate ironing with a passion. Some people say it is quite therapeutic and I shake my head in disbelief. My mom ironed all bed linens, my grandma ironed even the underwear. I guess that part of their DNA never transferred to me.

All those years when I was working, my cleaning lady did the ironing for me. 5 pairs of pants, 5 dress shirts or blouses if not more, every week. The only relationship I had with the iron and the ironing board was when she told me to go get a new one because the old one was dead.

Now that I am not working, I really do not mind if my T-shirts are a little wrinkled. I wear soft cotton shorts or jeans and they never need ironing. With that said, I just found 4 pairs of cropped summer pants that I thought I had given away and they are miserably wrinkled. Ugh!

I tried them on and they fit perfectly and they will be very good for the long road trip I will be taking with my childhood friend in September. 

I remembered that my mom and grandma always pulled the hard to iron items from the line when they were still slightly damp because it was easier to iron them. So, I will put them through a short wash cycle today and do the same. If they were hanging in the closet, they wouldn't be so wrinkled. Sigh... Note to self: ALWAYS hang the pants!

I have also realized that, despite my best efforts of purging, there are still a lot of items I will most probably never wear again. However, I think, I will give them till next year. I am hoping to lose tons of weight by then so, it will be easier to part with them.


12 comments:

  1. I join you with disliking housework. I personally do not find it satisfying. I am trying to think what I dislike most and I think it is scrubbing the shower stall. All that grout is a beast, and yes I know I could clean it very well every couple of days and keep it neat and clean but I tend to clean just the shower floor and wait for the rest until __well until I am afraid it will create some new life form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Housework is not satisfying. It never ends...

      Delete
  2. I married a man that enjoys ironing and I feel like the luckiest woman in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! I am not married but then, I have never come across a man who likes ironing. May be that's why. Lol!

      Delete
  3. I hate ironing too......Downy Wrinkle Release!! Life changing LOL. I pretty much hate all housework, too. When I was a kid my mom used to pay me a couple of bucks a week to iron all my dad's dress shirts for work. I would say the chore I despise is window cleaning. No matter how many times you spray and wipe they just do not get clean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, window cleaning is terrible too. That would be my number two most hated chore.

      Delete
  4. Color me odd, but I LOVE housework, for the most part. I love that the mess and dirt can't talk back, question or even ignore me, it is entirely under my control. I also love to see the results. That said, the one task I hate the most is unloading the dishwashwer. I would rather hand wash dishes than unload the dishwasher. I also start to lose my temper if I see that the dishwasher is full of clean dishes, the sink full of dirty dishes, but, someone has opened the dishwasher to see it is full of clean dishes only to close it again, and put their dirty dish in the sink. (I know this, because my dishwasher has a green light indicating the dishes are clean, which turns off the first time the dishwasher is open. My kids call it the "snitch light.")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely an interesting perspective. I like a clean home too but I just do not like to do it. Oh, BTW, I love the snitch light. Haha!

      Delete
  5. Hi there!

    Changing bed linens is my dreaded task, especially duvet covers. I get quite cross just thinking about it. Silly, isn't it?!

    I actually want to ask your opinion on something unrelated to this. I sincerely hope you don't mind. It seems that the UK govt rules for travel to Turkey are going to change so properly vaccinated individuals don't have to quarantine when they return from Turkey. My heart and love for Turkey are telling me to book a holiday as soon as possible. I want to show some solidarity with you guys and spend this year's holiday budget in support of the Turkish economy but I suspect the people in South West Turkey might be repelled by holiday-makers while they are trying to rebuild their lives. Please can I ask you what you think?

    Thank you!

    Much love,

    Heloise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes! The duvet covers can be a challenge. And Heloise, you are such a nice person to try to help out by spending your vacation here in Turkey. I do not think people will be repelled at all. On the contrary, they need all the money they can earn before the winter which is the slowest time for tourism. As a matter of fact, a friend of mine and I are going on a big road trip on September 9th starting in Izmir. Then to Bodrum, Datca, Dalyan, Kas and Goynuk. We will be on the road for a little less than a month. I do appreciate your thoughtfulness. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I would have to agree about hating cleaning windows and changing duvet covers. I hate both. Oddly enough, even when there were 5 of us living at home I never minded ironing. Different strokes for different folks, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandma was an excellent homemaker. She would get up at 6 a.m. and do everything before 11 a.m. She never had a cleaning lady despite our efforts. However, she absolutely hated housework. She did it so early to get it over with.

      Delete