About Me

Friday, August 27, 2021

Small Victories!

I haven't been exercising as much as I should and wasn't paying attention to what I ate during the last 4 days. Sabotaging myself is an important issue of mine. Usually, I let go a lot longer than 4 days but, this time I decided to issue myself a warning and go back to tracking my food and exercise.

I got up today and weighed myself. Guess what? I lost another couple of pounds. So, since May, I have lost a total of 18 pounds. I know, I know, some people lose this much in a month. Well, I can't. 

Actually, looking back to old records, I think, I kept losing and gaining the same 20 pounds over the course of last 6-7 years. So, if I break this and lose another 10 pounds, that will be a mid-size victory. 

The childhood friend with whom I am going on the roadtrip has a weight issue too. I hope, we will influence each other for the better and not for the worse. 

I hope, I will lose another 2 pounds in the next 13 days before we start our road trip. 

Today, I had smoked salmon, capers, a soft boiled egg, half an avocado on toasted rye bread for my first meal of the day. 650 calories in total. A small celebration :)

I am going to have a salad for dinner with the remaining salmon (need to finish it up) and baked okra. BTW, thanks Anne for the okra recipe!

I made Tom Kha Soup for tomorrow. I also have some cold chicken which I will put on my dinner salad. 

Today, I had bread, but most days I do not. Decreasing the amount of bread, pasta and rice I consume and having only two meals a day made a big difference. My poison is pasta. I love, love, love it. I will limit pasta to once a week and feel not deprived.

I have been eating from my freezer lately. I do not want to leave any meat or cooked meals in it. Last week I bought some tomatoes. I sliced and froze some of them and put the rest through my food processor and scooped them into zippie bags. One year I made too much of this and ended up using them till August. This year I was cautious but I guess, I should make some more. Not too much but may be another 5 pounds or so. 

8 comments:

  1. Any loss is a victory! I never thought about freezing sliced tomatoes. That's a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used San Marzano type tomatoes. I sliced them into 4-5 pieces lengthwise. I lined a tray with plastic wrap and placed the slices on it as one layer. Then I placed another layer of plastic wrap and placed additional tomatoes. I had three layers because of the size of my tray. I covered the top layer with plastic wrap too. Freeze one night and take the plastic wrap layers carefuuly out. Then you can put as many frozen slices as you like into zippie bags. I chose to use smaller baggies because I have no idea if they will stick together. The video I saw said they won't stick once frozen but who knows?

      Delete
  2. Losing 18 pounds is amazing - keep up the great work. I am so glad you are getting away with your friend, friends are so important these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We have been pram buddies with this friend. Lol! Our fathers were colleagues and we were brought up in the same neighborhood, went to the same schools. Great to hear from you!

      Delete
  3. congratulations on your weight loss, every pound helps! Good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gill. You're right, every pound helps. I feel better already and now I am trying to envision how I will feel after 10 more pounds. I need to set smaller goals to stay motivated.

      Delete
  4. I hope your getaway is wonderful.
    18 pounds is fantastic!
    I have done strawberries and peaches like you do tomatoes but never thought to do them in slices. I was thinking of getting a box full to make sauce, but I had much rather just freeze them the way you do. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Anne! I use lots of tomatoes in cooking. 80% of the Turkish dishes start with sauteed onions and tomatoes. I also freeze tart cherries.

    ReplyDelete