About Me

Saturday, August 14, 2021

Feeling a bit Better

This year was supposed to be my year. I was going to get rid of the part-time job that was sucking my energy and totally focus on myself, lose weight, get stronger and eat healthier. If you live in this country, the Government and the politics suck your life energy so, it is hard to concentrate only on one's self. 

Still, I have managed to lose 15 pounds since May, started to exercise more seriously and did well on the eating healthy department. I know 15 pounds seems not much in 4 months but, I could have easily gained more if I had caved in to depression. So, in my book, that is a win.

The devastating fires and the other BS going on, I felt helpless and very depressed during the last few weeks but, I am trying very hard to bounce back by cutting down on the news and social media. With that said, nowadays going cold turkey on those is not possible.

I started trying the 16/8 Intermittent fasting and it seems to be working for me for now. More on that later.

I found a channel on YouTube that I subscribed to which is called Improved Health. With my weight and fitness level, I find it easier and fun to do the exercises on this channel. People who cannot even walk can do the sitting exercises. I think I had shared the below before but, here you go again:


I also found out that listening to uplifting music (60's,70's,80's, 90's dance songs) helps me maintain a better mood throughout the day. So, I put Spotify to good use.

My mom's passing last year had a big impact on my life and my grief period was a lot longer than most but, I think I made peace with her loss. She was in the hospital for 77 days and even if she came back, she would never be how she would want to be and I know, mom never wanted to be bed-ridden. So, I guess for her, moving on was a better option. I respect that. Yesterday was a bit hard since, it was her birthday.

All in all, I am trying my best to keep healthy and focus on myself. Now, I gotta go and exercise. 



20 comments:

  1. Big hugs to you. It sounds like a really challenging time, so I totally agree that any amount of weight loss (as opposed to a gain) is a great achievement.

    I too try to reduce media consumption, focus on eating/sleeping well, working out & meditating. I've actually stumbled a bit on this recently, and need to get back into it. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the hugs. Right back at you! :)

      Delete
  2. *hug* you're doing the best you can, and i think that is pretty a ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the hug! Right back at you:)

      Delete
  3. If you're averaging a pound a week, that's the perfect way to lose weight. I lost 32 pounds doing 16:8 (took me almost a year!) and I've now been doing it for more than two years. Have gained back 5 pounds, but that's because I've been overeating. Slow and steady wins the race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bobbie! I am glad to hear 16:8 works. Losing 32 pounds is awesome! Congratulations! I am sure that 5 extra will melt away soon.

      Delete
  4. Losing 15 pounds is terrific! I’ve been fighting off depression too because of the terrible things going on all over the world....Covid, political divisions, people starving, global warming leading to fires from Turkey to California....the things you are doing to feel better sound great to me. Now I’m going to take a walk to lift my mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking definitely lifts up your mood! Onwards and upwards!

      Delete
  5. Everyone grieves at their own pace and moves on as they can. You will get there. My mom has been gone 21 years this week and some days it still is hard but I get through it.
    Congrats on the weight loss. healthier eating and changing your habits that led to such! You should be loosing slowly, that's the best way. Happy for you. 8-)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing great. Last fall I lost around 25 lb by walking a lot and eating healthy but this year i have gained back some. I am trying very hard to get back but it’s not easy. My mind is not on it. My country is battling covid and fires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you must be feeling. It is hard but, I guess we need to focus on our lives and keep going.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you are doing as well as you can be, under all the circumstances and 15 pounds loss is really good! Like you said, could easily have gone the other way. It does help to unplug from the news and social media. I did at least unplug from a majority of the news and any news site I was following on social media. It's helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Unplugging does help quiet a bit.

      Delete
  8. I find music does more for me than anything! I have several Spotify play lists to lift my mood.
    Some days are just harder than others aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a big fan of 60's,70's and 80's. I also have a Spotify play list for exercise motivation. And yes, some days are harder but, that's life.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better now. I know for most people depression is usually cyclical but it's still hard when you're in the middle of it isn't it. And well done on the weight loss!!! It's more than I've lost so I'm dead impressed (and yes I heard intermittent fasting is good - I'll have to give it a go now that I'm back living on my own)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is so easy to get sucked into a depressed mode. I have realized one of the good things in my life is this blog and the "online friendships". As for weight loss, it is only normal that I lose more than you can because I am obese. Like morbid obese. My goal is to break the morbid obese category this year.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you are feeling a bit better & forcing yourself to take care of YOU! You're mom would want you to do that. You'll never stop missing her, but you'll have those memories to last you forever. I think of you every time I hear of things going on in Turkey. Trust me - living here in the USA right now is chaotic with this virus STILL running rampant, the radical right Republicans, so many could care less about our exhausted health care workers, their neighbors & communities and just plain refuse to get the vaccine. So this will continue on...........for how long is anyone's guess.
    Stay well, take care of your own mental & physical heath - those are 2 things you DO have control over! I'm trying to do the same here! Sending you a BIG HUG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for teh Big Hug! Right back at you! You're right, we should try to control what we can. Take care!

      Delete