About Me

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my mom's 76th Birthday. I am taking her out to dinner. My sister, brother-in-law and I bought her a new cell phone as a birthday present few weeks ago. Her old one was no longer charging well and she needed a bigger screen. She seems to have gotten used to it.

Mom is an archaelogist but, she never worked as one due to getting married right after College and having me a year after. She was a stay-at-home mom till I was 11 and my sister was 4. She was very bored and her working would contribute tremendously to the family budget since I had started a private school  So, she started to work for a Government Agency. She enjoyed her career and got retired when her parents and my dad's mom started needing care. After my uncle passed, my grandma on my father's side wanted to go to a nursing home but, mom said she would not let that happen as long as she herself does not need medical care. So, she brought grandma to live with her and my sister. She took her to several doctors because grandma had ignored her health, trying to look after a 60 year old alcoholic son, my uncle.

She was and still is the authority figure in our family. She made sure we got plenty of exercise outdoors, had balanced meals, stayed away from junk food and read lots of books. She used to spend lots of time when we were little teaching us songs, fun things to contribute to our motor skills and answered all our questions with patience. She also tutored a lot of neighborhood kids when asked for free. She had a way with children. I guess my grandma wanter her to be a teacher but she chose archaelogy instead.

I started to read when I was little over 4 and of course no school accepted me at the age of 5 but, the headmistress of a nearby school was a family friend and she said that, if I could write and do some simple math, she would be willing to put me through an exam to accept me for 2nd grade instead of starting me at 1st grade. All summer long, my mom collected every neighborhood kid at our dining room table and had them complete their summer homeworks, while teaching me writing and math so that I could be in a classroom like environment and get used to school. So, at the age of 6, I was accepted to 2nd grade.

My father was a worrier and he would not let us do some things he considered dangerous or things that might interfere with school. Mom always supported us and assured dad, things will be fine. When my sister started playing volleyball, she made sure, she picked her up from practice every night after school. She went to all her games.

She is an excellent mom and I love her to the moon and back. We spend a lot of time together and enjoy each other's company. I cannot say we get along 100% but close. We are both strong-willed and have our own ways so, sometimes we need time apart.

As I observe her age, I think new living arrangements should be made. I also know that, that responsibility is mostly mine since my sister has her auto-immune sickness to deal with, is still working and is married. I do not know what the days ahead will bring.

She wanted me to order the rollator last week. She says she doesn't want to hold me back from doing things and she tinks the rollator will help her keep up with me better. Isn't that amazing? She may be turning 77 but, her soul is not older than 35:)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! WISHING YOU A LONG, PROSPEROUS AND HEALTHY LIFE!


12 comments:

  1. Any mother who teaches her own kids at home is a teacher. Sometimes degrees are over-rated. Now, I have two BAs and an MA, so I am not being all sour grapes. Your mother sounds wonderful. Mine died when I was 42 and she was 71.

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your Mom! She has a wonderful daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a loving tribute! Happy Birthday to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She sounds like a fabulous woman who raised another fabulous woman! Happy Bday to your Mom. My Mom is the same age and uses shopping carts as a rollater...maybe that's coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! She uses the shopping carts too :)

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday to your mom! She sounds like a wonderful lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to your mom - a real matriarch. And that's how mom's should be (well, in my opinion)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Matriarch is the right word.

      Delete