About Me

Sunday, August 11, 2019

Scattered Thoughts - Need to pick your brains

If you have read my previous post, this is about it. Ever since my friend asked for my help, there have been things bothering me at the background of my mind. So, I have decided to put them down here and see what my friends in the blogosphere has to say.

First, let me share some historical info:

There are 5 ex-employees of mine working for this particular company. I cannot say I liked them much and in fact, I was relieved when they left my former company on their own. They were making the environment toxic and affecting the others in a negative manner.

Guy 1: The head of the professional services team - He should be able to do what needs to be done in terms of my friend's needs, except that he is lazy. He always has a reason why he cannot do a certain thing. (all those things he could not do, could be done by others).

Guy 2: I actually liked his attitude, appreciated his knowledge and work and sent him to an event in the US, a rare perk of the job. I was hoping he would mentor the new recruits afterwards but, he resigned a week after the trip just because, he was offered a 5% better salary. I was willing to counter-offer but my ex-boss refused it. All that time he was getting ready to go to the US, he knew that he would resign. In my book that is not acceptable. He should have bowed out gracefully and let another colleague go.

Guy 3: Lazy, always complains, never in a good mood.

Guy 4: Lazy, never learns from mistakes. He is supposed to produce marketing material but he never ran a spell check despite being told several times. Always produces inferior quality work that needs to be touched up by someone else.

Gal 1: Did not have much interaction with her since she left shortly after I joined the former company. For all I know, she was known to be rude to the customers. She made an effort to come back but, my former boss did not accept her.

The owner of this company tried to recruit others from our team in the past but, they did not go since they loved my ex-boss and got along well with me as second in command. So, he recruited the bad apples in a way. However, since he did not let anyone go, they must have been working OK I guess. The owner seems satisfied. My ex-boss on the other hand, never liked any of them and when they wanted to leave, he did not move a finger not to lose any of them.

You may be thinking 5 people can not be all bad and there must be something wrong with me too. I am a bit of a perfectionist and even though I know, not everybody can be great, I like to see genuine effort. Not everybody can be an excellent worker but, they should at least try.

I do not think, I want to have anything to do with the above people anymore. I would never hire them, if I were the boss.

So, all the above had been bothering me in the background. My friend needs my support, has joined this company about 5 months ago. She is an excellent salesperson. On financial issues, she can be a pain in the butt, however, overall she is a nice person.

May be I should tell my friend all about this and leave it at that. If there is a way around working as a consultant without having to deal with these people directly, I may consider it.

What do you think?


14 comments:

  1. One question--is there a way you can help her without dealing with the five people above? Do you have to interact with those five? Will you be doing the job that lazy people refuse to do?

    I would rather work with a perfectionist than a lazy person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points. I do not know but I will definitely talk to my friend. I think I am being asked to do what one of the people (the head of prof. services) is not doing properly.

      Delete
  2. Hi T'Pol,
    I've enjoyed reading your blog for some time, I just don't comment. My recommendation is to politely decline the offer as the stress will not be worth the extra income. You have assessed the situation well. If memory serves, your financial burdens lighten in September so the main reason to do this is to help your friend. But, even if you start out helping in isolation away from the five, what are the chances that sooner or later you will need to interact with one or all of them? Enjoy your life and family, prepare for the long vacation. Who knows what opportunities may arise with colleagues you both like and respect after your trip. Best of luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you EAS. I think, we are thinking alike. Come September, I will make the last payment of a debt I have taken over from a family member. I certainly do not need the stress.

      Delete
  3. That doesn't sound good. I would definitely talk to your friend about the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I moderate comments and due to the time difference, I sometimes see them way later.

      Delete
  5. I'd say, enjoy your retirement and don't take this offer. It's not your responsibility to help your friends work situation and since it's not "ideal" for you, I'd just pass on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the same way. Good thing that I looked up this company on LinkedIn. Seeing familiar but unpleasant acquaintances made me put my finger on what was bothering me. Did not realize so many of them worked there.

      Delete
  6. If it is just a matter of setting on the right path and you don't have interactions with that bad posse, I would do it. If they are going to argue with you, I would not. Talk it out with your friend to see how it will be. You might not have contact or conflict with any of them. Be frank with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely do that Linda. I will be very open with her. She knows the trouble we had with them.

      Delete