About Me

Saturday, August 31, 2019

New Method to Follow Liquid Assets

The crazy fluctuations in the exchange rates make it difficult for me to track my Liquid Assets properly. I have my savings in TL, USD, Gold and an insignificant amount of Euros.

I normally track my Liquid Assets by converting all foreign exchange to TLs at the exchange rate of the last day of the month. This is very deceiving because of the exchange rate fluctuations. So, I have decided to track only the TL starting in January 2020, since the rest of the stuff is actually my nest egg. I am not touching that yet and hope, never to touch it. As long as I have the mortgage for the Antalya apartment, I will be tapping my TL savings by about 4.5% every year, i.e. till January 2025. The current interest rate on TL accounts is about 17% so, 4.5% is not too bad and it is only over the TL savings. After that, my passive income will cover my living expenses. If I get some consulting business, that will be the icing on the cake for travel.

My passive income was enough to cover my living expenses until recently. When I had to add health insurance to my budget and due to hiking prices of utilities, gas, food and almost everyting, I now need to supplement it. The economy is not doing well over here so, savings are even more important now.

Looking at the current numbers, it looks like I will be doing better in meeting my year end goals but, I know that, this is deceiving. Hopefully, next year's goals will be tracked in a more realistic manner.

A lot of bloggers calculate their Net Worth.  I do not. Why? Because the worth of the real estate keep fluctuating and unless you sell them, you have no idea what they are really worth.

2 comments:

  1. We do track our net worth including real estate - but we have a realtor who is a good friend so we do estimates about 1x per year. I am so sorry to hear about Turkey's economy. I do think the whole planet is about to enter a world recession, thanks due to incompetents in politics in many countries. Your strategy is a good one. We have been planning for the last year for the market to crash and moving investments as a result

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Cheapchick. I also think a worldwide recession is approaching. As for the politicians everywhere, I have harsher words:)

      Delete