About Me

Friday, August 2, 2019

When you see your parent age...

Mom is my rock. She is someone I have always looked up to. She will be turning 77 in a couple of weeks.. I see her taking her cane more these days. She also says one day isn't like the next. She sometimes feels very strong, other times not so much.

Nowadays, she has developed an interest in getting a rollator with a seat. Her walking distance is getting shorter and shorter and she always looks for some place to sit. She thinks a rollator is a good solution and so do I. She has the stamina to go and see places but, doesn't have the physical endurance.

I remember her as a young woman who could move mountains if she wanted to. Watching her slow down is sad but also, a fact of life. I even feel myself slowing down at 53 sometimes.

On the other hand, I did not have the chance to see my dad age. For all we know, he will always be 54.

So, seeing a parent age is also a blessing albeit, a bittersweet one.

Hoping to have several good years with my family in good health.

10 comments:

  1. My mom is 78. It is hard to see them age. She's still pretty mobile, but her mind is slowing down. Her bf is hardly mobile at all now, which I feel is keeping her from staying active and keeping her body moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom hardly goes out if we are not around to drive her. She lives alone but, nowadays she spends a lot of time with me. If I am not around, my uncle comes to stay with her. She spends less time with my sister because she and her husband work long hours and she gets bored.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you. My parents are 86 & 90. It's so very hard to see them slow down. Sometimes makes me want to cry. But I also know how blessed we are to still have them. They are in independent living (just the last 2 yrs) & are still both mentally & physically able to care for themselves. Between their 8 children & 20+ grandchildren, there are many of us stopping by to check on the & visit. I know growing old isn't for sissies, but so many are denied the privilege (like your father) so every birthday to me is a true blessing that I've lived another fabulous year, regardless of the aches & pains (I'm only 56, so not much older than you!). But this is the cycle of life, & we have no choice but to accept it. And I choose to embrace it, also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Every birthday is a blessing and life goes on no matter what.

      Delete
  3. I hope you have lots of time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. I do have lots of time with them. Despite living in different cities, now that I am semi retired, I have a lot more time to visit and stay with them.

      Delete
  4. It was hard for me to see my mother slow down. But, I am here quite a few years after she died. I mean she died younger than I am now. Slowing down or me is solely caused by a back problem. The rollator is looking better every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are still pretty active I think. Back problems suck.

      Delete
  5. I feel the same way about my Mom, she's 76. Wants to sit down a lot when we walk - but I've reminded her that we do need to walk and get out more as she needs the exercise even though most of the time she just wants to stay home. It does feel weird seeing a parent age though. I wonder what I will be like at that age

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder about that too. I hope, I will never require assistance when I am old.

      Delete