About Me

Friday, September 27, 2019

A Former Headache Rearing Its Ugly Head... Bah!

I do not know if I have mentioned this before but, at my previous job, we had a toxic employee. My ex-boss and I were able to place him at a customer site so that he could not jeopardize daily operations. The project lasted for over a year and everybody was comfortable with the arrangement. My ex-boss sold the company, new owners took it over and the said project came to an end eventually.

Knowing this person, I alerted the new management about the upcoming problem and the new GM decided to offer him another customer site project. He did and the idiot rejected.

Right around those days, the company arranged for a dinner party and the GM decided to talk to this guy once more.

All through the night the GM and the guy talked but could not come to a conclusion. Finally, late at night as he was leaving, I have realized that he was very drunk so, I told the waiters to call a cab for him and urged him to leave his car. He refused it but I insisted and told him that he could expense the cab. He said fine and walked out. Well, being the idiot that he was, he took his car without waiting for the cab and right around the corner, he came across another car and somehow got involved in a fist fight with those people. The police station was within quarter of a mile so, they came immediately and arrested the guy since he was drunk driving. We were still at the restaurant when he called the GM. At that hour of the night both the GM and another manager went to the police station and I got a hold of the company lawyer. We went out of our way to help him but the level of alcohol in his blood made it impossible for him to keep his license. Due to a previous DUI, his license got suspended for two years!

Well, our business required everybody to drive and hence, we had issued company cars to all.

The guy came back a couple of days later. (It took him two days to sober up). The GM told him that now that he will not be able to drive, he should accept the customer site assignment since the customer provided transportation. He refused it AGAIN! The GM was way more patient with him than I would be. He talked to him for at least two hours and finally gave up. We then terminated his contract having no other choice.

He decided to sue the company which is fine. However, the first court hearing is on Monday and being a witness, I have to go. Bummer! I was really hoping that the court date would be set later and I would be abroad so that I would not have to go. Bummer again!

At least the previous company is sending a car to pick me up to go to the court on my request.

6 comments:

  1. What a douchebag! Sorry you have to still deal with it. Hopefully it will all at least go in favor of the company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that he blamed me for wanting to get rid of him. At least he got that right. If they ask me, I will confirm that.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes I wonder just how far some people can push it! I think my (former) employer was excellent and really tried to accommodate people but there comes a point where I felt they should have said "hey, this is the offer, take it or leave it". It was an international organization but I can't help feeling that in a private company many of those people would have been out the door pretty damn quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Soem people have no boundaries. Everything has to be in their favor.

      Delete
  3. What a winner. Anyone with a 2 time DUI has zero common sense. Fortunately it sounds like he wasn't able to hurt anyone. Sorry you have to go to court over it but I am sure your previous employers are very happy you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! What a waste of time for everyone. At least no one was hurt (more or less) during the altercation. I sincerely hope the court upholds his termination, and that you don't have to deal with this idiot again! Good luck to you all xx

    ReplyDelete