About Me

Saturday, November 27, 2021

Thoughts on Retirement, Part Time Work and Change

I am afraid this will be a long post. So, if you do not have the time, you're welcome to skip it. However, I will appreciate all the input or advice you may have to offer on my thought process below.

Most of you may know, I am retired and I do like to be retired but, it is also kind of boring.  Even so, until recently, I wasn't really willing to take on work even part-time. However, the recent developments in the country made me think harder about this.

I have saved a nice nest egg to complement my retirement income but, with what's hapening in the country lately, I am concerned that we are headed to a hyper inflation period. Nobody understands why the current government is taking the country to an economical doom. It is a complicated story so, I am not going to dive into the details of it but, the economy is a mess. Here is a simple piece of info to show you how bad things have become:

USD 1= 1.91 TL end of 2011

USD 1 = 3.52 TL end of 2016

USD 1 = 12.08 TL last Friday and this happened within a few months. It used to be around 7 or 8 TL earlier in the year.

My nest egg consists of  USD (60%), TL(22%), Gold and a small amount of Euros. So, I can say that, my nest egg increased in value with the increase of USD but, that does not mean much. I never want to dip into the non-TL part of my nest egg until after the age of 70 or better yet 75. I have been supplementing my pension with mostly the interest I was earning on the TL portion of it. This year, I had to dip into the principal but, not significantly.

The president of the country (the p is not capital intentionally just to show how much I "like" him) is the kind of person capable of doing anything just to stay in power. He is creating a big divide between the  people which may lead to civil unrest so that he can declare a State of Emergency to avoid general elections in 2023. If that does not happen, he is prepared to take the country to war with one of the neighboring countries. That could also be a reason for a State of Emergency. This is how bad the situation is.

Part of the reason why I am so concerned about the future is that, our family is small but, other than my SIS and BIL, the rest are not well of and their lives may become harder down the line. They may need some financial assistance (although it is extremely hard to convince them to accept such help). Besides, there are already some health issues in the family. I sincerely hope and wish, we shall never need to spend loads of money for health reasons. I would rather have us use it for good days. So, I am seeing my money sort of like an insurance for the whole family in the long run too. This does not mean that I will not spend my hard earned money on myself. I still would like to travel, enjoy vacations and family get togethers. 

I guess, I was able to give you dear readers (who has loads of patience to read this)  a summary of my situation. So, you see the thought of additional income has all of a sudden become "interesting" while I still do not want to go back to working full time.

Some of you may know that, I was complaining that I was sucked into a part-time IT Recruitment job, I had a bad experience  with last time and decided not to continue doing it early this year. The owner of the company is a friend and she practically begged me to consider it once again a month ago. I accepted one project that requires finding two senior level positions and laid down my rules and my friend  agreed to them. 

So far, the job did not make me stressed yet. We are at the verge of submitting our Short List to the Client. It can go downhill from here like last time or it can go smoothly. I have diligently selected the candidates to be submitted so, I am hoping for a smooth sail. We'll see. If this project is successful, I will receive a nice chunk of money that will enable me not to touch my nest egg or rather the interest generated by the TL portion of it next year. My initial motivation was to just do this one project and call it quits. I just realized, it doesn't have to be that way. My friend assured me, I can take on as little work as I like and doing one project at a time is not all that time consuming. So, may be it is now a good idea to keep on doing it for a while at my own pace.

Recently, I have also been approached by a medical association, a non profit organization whose President is the husband of a High School mate. They needed someone business minded to oversee their operation on a part-time basis. We had a meeting a week or so ago and he and a couple of other doctors told me about their organization in detail. I like how involved they are in their field and how much more can be done. Their only problem is that they cannot pay me much. Instead of saying "no", I thought about what I would be willing to do for them at that payment level. The pay is almost symbolic but, with the economy tanking badly, a regular additional income might not be so bad after all. Right? Besides, I think this is the kind of thing that will make me feel good about myself.

I have always wanted to volunteer for a nice cause but, I am not as selfless as the people who throw themselves fully into the cause they believe in without expecting anything in return. I am sure, I have mentioned about being a bit selfish before. So, I figured I could do this on a half-paid, half volunteer basis. 

This morning, the President of the organization called me and I told him  how we can make this work. I cannot be available as much as they want due to the small pay but, I can act as a consultant and we can  tackle a a couple of projects at a time on my terms. I can participate in their management meetings and offer them guidance, ways to improve certain processes and generally my experience as a consultant who has a business background. I will also help them deal with international relations. They need someone with language skills to build bridges between sister organizations in other parts of the world. I can do that.

The President wants to work with me so, he will take this to the Board and let me know what the they say. So, this still may or may not happen. Either way, I am cool with it.

I know I was very reluctant to work initially, but, adapting to change is a must in life. I also consider it a true skill to cope with change. I will still be the boss of most of my time. Besides, I am not using all this spare time in a productive manner anyway. Perhaps if I lived in a peaceful part of the world, it would have been different. They say geography is your fate. I guess it is true. 

So, what do you think Dear Readers? 


12 comments:

  1. I think it is very smart of you to pick up a little work to make some extra money. Things are bad everywhere right now and only look to be getting worse.
    Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori. I agree that it is bad everywhere.

      Delete
  2. My $.02. In your shoes, I would do things similarly to what you are doing. 1) Figure out what tradeoffs you're willing to make 2) Set firm commitments on your time and 3) Feel comfortable pulling back when something isn't working for you.

    I do think I'd keep working a bit here & there, to supplement my income, reduce boredom & also just give me more confidence for the future. I wouldn't do it in any overly stressful ways. I also find value in being "needed" & enjoy the non-profit volunteering side. The second role you mentioned could be interesting from that side.

    Good luck with whatever you decide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I totally agree with what you said.

      Delete
  3. Hi Tpol. I love reading about your economics. I think you were very smart to have most of your money in Dollars. How do you invest it. I have my money invested in the stock markets with index funds. I can’t believe how well it’s doing. As for inflation it’s in every country, but of course some countries are more affected than others. For instance my husband has a lot of money in Iran but neglected to exchange it in dollars before the Iran USA contract were dumped by trump and now the exchange is 1 us $ for 30,000 Toman when is used be 1 to 1000.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Index Funds and such are not as stable here as they are in your country. My dollars just sit there and collect, minimal interest. I am sorry for your husband's money. May be he should invest in real estate in Iran? I do not know their economy though.

      Delete
  4. I don't think it's selfish at all to expect them to pay you for your time and effort and it sounds like you might enjoy it anyway. And those exchange rates shocked me to be honest! I remember when I got married my husband earned US$ even though I was living in Switzerland and at the time US$1 bought him SF 2.5. Now you'd only get 97 Swiss centimes for your dollar so I understand the massive impact exchange rate fluctuations can have! Good luck, I'm sure you'll make the right decision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna! It is becoming worse by the day. I hope, one day, you know who will be taken to court for treason.

      Delete
  5. I'd keep on with part time work in the kind of situations you have described given your country's economic and political situation not to mention the world situation. It is so much easier to increase income if you are already working and you can always reduce it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juhli. It is good to see you dear readers agree with me and support my plan.

      Delete
  6. I think working part time is a great idea, both to keep from being bored and to have additional income because you never know what the future holds. I plan to do being doing just that a year from now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Noone knows what the future holds like you said and it is 10 times harder to foresee it in this country.

      Delete