About Me

Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Age and Aging

When mom passed, I fished out old dia positive photos, bought a scanner and scanned them. I put them up in the Cloud and gave the link to my family.

Few days ago, when my sister was looking  at some pictures from our parents' engagement party she called me and said "Do you realize, in those pictures our grandma on our dad's side was two years year younger than you are now and our other grandma was two years younger than I am now?" Wow! They looked so elegant, so matronly and for the life of me, I could not imagine myself and my sister posing like that. A fun fact is that uncle was a 7 year old boy in those engagement party pictures. Lol!

I have never been married and although my sister is married, she does not have kids. I guess that is part of the reason why we do not realize our ages. We do not have kids and grandkids in our lives as most of our friends do. Our lives are not much different than what they used to be when we were in our twenties or thirties. May be, it is also the way people dress nowadays. Jeans, T-Shirts and sneakers are our go to attire. Back in the 60's and 70's, people dressed differently.

Meanwhile here is the truth: We are aging! Wow! We have health problems. We no longer enjoy certain things we used to enjoy when we were younger like loud music, cramped restaurants and bars (pre-COVID of course). I am going to turn 55 next year and my sister will turn 48. We have both quit coloring our hair. My sister's hair is all gray. My temples are all gray and the rest of my hair is still a dark brown with a few gray strands. SIS now needs reading glasses. I always had glasses because I have myopia since I was 8.

When did all this happen? 


4 comments:

  1. It does sneak up on you doesn't it? I have adopted my Dad's answer when asked how does it feel to be X? "It sure beats the alternative!" Bts, happily 72 here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your dad's answer Juhli. I think I will adopt it too. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our parents' generation were very definitely elegant weren't they, and while it's nice to be more relaxed I do feel we have lost a little something along the way!

    ReplyDelete