About Me

Thursday, November 18, 2021

Gray Sky, Windy, Dark Day

Today is one of those boring dark Fall days. When sun is out, it is always cheerful and nice.

My freezer and fridge are well stocked. I do not think, I will need to buy anything till the end of the month except for yogurt and may be some fresh veggies.

I had bought couple of bunches of spinach a few days ago and I am washing it. Have I ever told you I hate washing fresh spinach (and purslane too). Waste of so much water. It is sold in pre-washed packages too but, I like the root part as well so, I always buy fresh bunches. I will sautee it with a little onion, add a handful of rice and minced/chopped meat (pre-sauteed) and cook it with a little tomato sauce. I usually serve this with plain yogurt (garlic or not). Yum!

My grocery store started offering a store brand frozen pizza. I wanted to give it a shot. So, when saw that they were BOGOF, I decided to give it a shot. At such a low price it was worth it. I put one in the freezer and heated the other. It turned out to be very decent pizza but, next time I make it, I will add some sauce and cheese to the edges. Even then, at this price, I think it is worth it. 

My sister and her husband are in Antalya at a big resort hotel. The bank gathers all branch managers and senior managers every year for a conference. Last year, they did not do it due to COVID. I called them to ask how they were doing and as I understand that the management does not stuff them in boring meetings all day. They have free time till Friday morning and then, the General Manager is going to deliver a speech and they will check out in the afternoon. Apparently, the bank wants them to have free time, mingle and get to know others that they do not come to contact with. Yesterday, they even swam! SIS said it was a so so day but, that never stops our family to jump in the sea. We all like cold water. 

Once, mom and I went to this beautiful island in the Northern Aegean Sea. It was mid-March and the outside temp was 18 degrees C, and 64 degrees F. I was the only one swimming as people bundled up in jackets and coats came to watch me swim. Lol! Mom even decided to try the next day but, when the water was knee deep, she turned back and told me I must have been real crazy. Guess, I was a sea creature in a past life. 

Uncle went back to Antalya so, the kids (we refer to SIS and BIL as kids although they are 47 and 49) will be staying with him Friday and Saturday nights. Hope, the weather will be nice over there so that they can enjoy another couple of beach days.


4 comments:

  1. I wonder also about your sister's employer holding such a large event (which I'm presuming will be indoors)! Still I presume that will be taking all the necessary precautions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the attendees are vaccinated and so are the hotel staff. SIS and BIL are wearing N95 masks under regular surgical ones. It is not an event they could have opted out of unfortunately. I am just hoping they will be well. The other day I was talking to a doctor friend who attended a conference two weeks ago in a similar fashion. He said nobody reported getting COVID. I guess, that is a good sign.

      Delete
  2. I like to buy fresh Swiss chard because I like the stems too. I saute it with ognions, garlic, cayenne pepper, paprika, and add eggs at the end. I drizzle olive oil on It and eat it with French baguette . Not exactly healthy considering I can polish half a baguette in one meal. I grew up eating eating baguette everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a similar kind of chard. I make it the similar way too. Sİnce I do not like eggs that much, I serve it with garlic yogurt sauce. In order not to eat bread, I do not buy it anymore. Baguettes are addictive. Lol! Oh, I also make rolls with chard. I divide the leaf into two and take the stem out. I make a chopped meat mixture consisting of meat, rice, chopped onions, salt and pepper. After I roll all the leaves, I put them in a pot with a bit of tomato sauce and a little olive oil and cook it on stove top. Plain yogurt or garlic yogurt and it is really yummy.

      Delete