About Me

Monday, November 8, 2021

Do I need.....? Forget it!

The other day, I have fished out my hats, gloves and scarves and decided to keep them by my entrance either on the small table or in the closet right there. Then I started to look for a cute box or basket online. As always, it hit me within a few minutes into my search. I have more stuff lying around in this apartment than I need. There is a basket full of unnecessary stuff in the bathroom. Everything in it was collecting dust and I had covered it instead of sorting through the contents and getting rid of them. Just dumb...

I finally emptied the basket and lined it with a piece of quilt someone gave me. No backing, just the quilt. I think it was a piece she made attending a local quilting class. It wasn't serving any purpose, now, it is. My hats, scarves and gloves have a new place in the entrance closet. Perfect! 

On one hand, I try purging stuff, on the other, I am looking for new things to buy. Why? I keep thinking about my grandparents who did with a lot less than I do. Everywhere I look, I see excess. Why do I have so many tablecloths? Why do I have so many mugs and glasses and kitchenware I barely use? Yes, some of them were gifts but, why keep them if I am not using them?  In addition to my dilemma, the items I use most frequently are in poor shape. Scratches, small cracks and yet I cannot part with them. I have a Pyrex baking dish with a lid that I bought back in 1990 from a Shop Rite in Yonkers, NY. Can you imagine? One of these days, I will solve this problem.... I hope...

I made some sort of a tabouli for lunch and had it wrapped in lettuce. I use lots of finely chopped fresh parsley and peppers (Italian or Cubanas will do).

Having a bean salad for dinner. I have some arugula to use up. I will chop it and add it to the bean salad. This is my first vegetarian day this week. I have decided to eat vegetarian meals at least two days a week. 

I am thinking of making an egg salad for lunch tomorrow. Got yogurt soup for dinner. May be soup and cheese topped sliced bread in the toaster oven for dinner? Sounds good for now. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

After I typed the above, I took a break and  just spoke to my sister and freaked out completely. A guy with whom she went on customer visits last week, was tested COVID positive today! He was vaccinated so, he did not feel sick at all. He lost his sense of smell yesterday and then he went to get tested. Now, my sister is sharing a bed with her husband, they went to visit her in-laws over the weekend and they flew both ways! They went to a cardiologists office with her FIL! My uncle and they stayed in the same apartment! For the next 10 days or so, I will be a nervous wreck. She never takes her mask off when she is with other people but still, I am extremely worried. She had three Sinovac vaccines. I am hoping that she will be protected. So will others too of course.

I begged her to use one N95, one regular mask on top of that from now on.




8 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, that would be a worry for you, but I'm sure she'll be ok. My friend (also vaccinated) got over covid in about five days - just a nasty cough/cold and as far as I know her husband never caught it even though they share a bed. Fingers double-crossed for your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Treaders! Because of her liver condition, I am more worried. Sigh...

      Delete
  2. Oh no, I know you are beyond worried. I hope all the worry is for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don’t panic Tpol. I am sure she will be fine if she wore her mask. I am seeing about 100 students a day. They are supposed to be vaccinated and wear a mask but some students just keep lowering their mask in class. I am tired of telling them to put their mask properly. I was so nervous at first but fortunately All is well so far. I am getting my booster shot this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said she never took her mask off. And yes, you are right. Panicking won't help. I didn't realize you had to see so many students. Be safe!

      Delete
  4. Try not to panic, easier said than done. With her vaccine history she is less likely to get Covid . Can you test there? At 3 and 5-6 days I would think. Do they call this a direct contact and she has to quarantine? Here in the US the system is nuts. I’ll give you a nuts example. I work intermittently at a small state (government) in patient mental health hospital. Retired from there about 5 years ago. About a month ago per government regulations if you’re not vaccinated weekly testing. First week 3 positive staff one who I had worked with three days after testing. Took the state 4 days!! To get results. Second week of weekly testing 5-7 staff positive. And they seemed surprised!! See they go on quarantine, we pick up the slack, no one think we (vaccinated) are at risk…. What a croc… we wear surgical (paper) masks all the time. Then patient is positive, any non vaccinated staff that worked within a time period is on quarantine with 3 and 5 day testing. Response to “us” not considering a close contact “cause you’re vaccinated” and no testing. I’m so angry and trying to not let my really positive persona judge and hopefully I lose resentment in the future. This is a medical families perspective 5 RN’ and 2 EMT’s in immediate family. Daughter starts a Covid unit next week. They have opened 4 units there and have 170 travel nurses. When at its worse about two weeks ago she called, from that city saying it felt like a war zone with continued helicopters flying in or in the sky in a holding pattern. Daughter-in-law works ICU. It did not have to get this bad. Sorry that’s my rant but factual and hope your sister is fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear your frustration. I guess the same thing over here. Since they have all been vaccinated, no tests were required for the rest of the people working at the bank branch. In the past, they used to shut down the entire branch but no more. Just spoke to my SIS, she is fine and I hope, she stays fine. I wish you and your family stay safe. We can never thank medical people enough during these tough times. I deeply respect your profession.

      Delete