About Me

Monday, November 22, 2021

A Quick Trip Next Week

Finally, the 5 year wait is up for me to take over 1/3 of the house in Konya. To make a long story short, the house was left to my mom and two uncles by their parents. When my younger uncle was having trouble with his business, I wanted to take over his share but, someone told me that if he sells to a family member, it could be questioned during the liquidation of his business. So, a friend of mine took his share over. No money exchanged hands, the property sales tax was paid by yours truly. If my friend had sold me that share within the 5 years following the sale, she would have had to pay a ridiculuous income tax so, we decided to wait. As of last month, she is exempt from that tax. Therefore, I can now "buy" this share. Again, there will not be any money exchange, just the property sales tax.

So, this coming Sunday, I will be going to Ankara. My friend gave power of attorney for the sale of "her" share to another friend of mine who will come with me to Konya. It will be a day trip from Ankara, just three hours each way. 

When the transaction is completed, I will own 5/6 of the house and my SIS owns the remaining 1/6th. We both inherited mom's share and with this transaction, I will have purchased everybody else's shares. My late uncle's family (older uncle) wanted to sell their share a few years ago and I had bought it.

The house is in shambles and there is no way we would like to spend money to make it liveable again. So, it will be sold one day. We haven't put it up for sale yet. Uncle looked for a few real estate agents while he was there but, I would not put it up for sale during the winter anyway. 

Some people keep breaking into the house so, there were a couple of broken windows and the doors and windows need reinforcements. Uncle hired a guy to put up basic grates and replace the broken windows. There was still some stuff in the house such as office desks, chairs and what not. Uncle also hired a junk dealer to come and clean those up. Once the grates are installed, at least it will not be broken into. Who knows if they are dealing or doing drugs in there. I am not sure if these will be all done when I go next week.

I have been gradually cleaning up kitchen cupboards/cabinets and drawers so, I just did not feel like cooking today. I had leftover chili and a pancake for lunch. Dinner was a piece of grilled salmon and some chips with a bottle of beer. I do not consume much alcohol anymore but, today I wanted to have a small bottle of beer. When I was younger, I could handle alcohol better. Especially after menopause, not so much. 

I am not moving as much as I want to because, my sleep is quite out of whack and I feel miserable during the day. I must go to bed around 11 o'clock whether I fall asleep or not. Starting tonight, I will do that.

As for work, I have my short list ready to be submitted to the client. I must write 5 short reports. No big deal. I have been very diligent in selecting the candidates. Only 6-7 people out of about 90. I am just hoping that they will hire at least one. They are looking for 2.

Hope, everyone has a nice week!





4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had to finesse that deal a bit. Kind of reminds me of something we had to do quite a few years ago and dh's best friend helped us out with something he was going to transfer back to us later. Then he passed away, but thankfully his wife took care of it, no problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5 years was a long time and I was uncomfortable about it but, luckily it is over now. Sorry about your friend's passing.

      Delete
  2. If you know your way around the legal system you can save yourself a lot of money can't you - and why not? The rich do it all the time. I guess that's why they're rich!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just going to buy uncle's share but, a lawyer gave us the tip and assured us that the transaction would be completely legal. Like you said, people who know the legal system sure benefit from it.

      Delete