About Me

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Change of Perspective

I have a small balcony outside my kitchen. There are glass panels which you can push aside to use it as an open balcony. Lately, it had been cluttered and was getting on my nerves. I cannot say I liked it very much even when it was organized. Many people eat at their tables in their balconies (on their balconies? Which preposition?) during warm months but, that never has been my thing except when mom was visiting. She loved the balcony and the hydrangeas right in front of it. The hydrangeas do not bloom every year. They are kind of moody.

The other day, I have realized that, due to not being thoroughly cleaned in more than two years (no cleaning lady remember?), there was a build up of some black matter on the walls, ceiling and on the floor behind the plastic cabinet where I store cleaning gadgets, supplies and my tool box. I suspected it could be mold or just a build-up of air pollution. Istanbul is very humid so, I decided to err on the side of caution and treat those surfaces with mold cleaner.

I went to the hardware store and found two different kinds of sprays. One is to treat moldy surfaces, the other to avoid mold. I also bought a hose to connect to my kitchen faucet to wash the floors properly. 

I want to elevate the plastic cabinet so, I am thinking of going back to the store to buy a flat piece of wood and install 4 wheels on it. I will place the cabinet on that contraption for easy pulling and pushing.

As I have been dealing with the balcony, I was thinking of contacting a couple of contractors to see if I can get rid of the old glass panels and get new ones installed plus a new coat of paint. 

Armed with a safety goggle, an N95 Mask (a staple nowadays), gloves and a headscarf, I sprayed the nasty smelling mold remover to the black areas. After waiting a little bit, I used two different brushes and lots of warm water to wash down the chemical. The result was quiet amazing. Now, the area I have cleaned looks better than the rest of  the surfaces. I will wash the rest of the surfaces with soapy water. Since there is external paint, I can wash the walls. I still have about half a day's work to do but, once I am done, I believe it will look good as new. 

So, the cleaning totally changed my perspective. I do not think I need to get new glass panels or a new paint job at least for another couple of years. I will also clean and re-organize inside the cabinet, purge unnecessary stuff and make sure everything can be contained in the cabinet. I have a small table where 2 can dine during warmer months. Mom loved having meals there. If the hydrangeas decide to bloom, it is really georgeous in the summer.

I bought peonies and once I am done with the balcony, I will place them and my hyacinths on the table. 

I promised myself to keep my balcony clean and organized from now on. For me, it is reclaimed space and I will make sure it becomes an enjoyable, relaxing part of my home.


8 comments:

  1. It sounds like a really nice spot - good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to start enjoying it once it warms up a bit.

      Delete
  2. It will become extra living space! That's nice. Spring has begun here so as soon as the big pollen dump is over I will do the heavy duty washing an cleaning of the screened porch and deck to reclaim some square footage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 63 degrees the day before. Today it is 40! Smelling spring in the air must have been an illusion. Lol!

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a lovely space to sit and have a morning coffee or tea or to read a book/browse the internet too. I am determined to find a way to use our tiny patio when the weather warms. As you say, space that needs to be reclaimed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to use it Physical activity did me good. I finished Operation Balcony today.

      Delete
  4. The trouble with cleaning one section is that you end up having to clean the whole lot don't you. I remember wiping down the white wood wall when I moved a picture and ended up having to wash down the whole room as everything was covered in stale cigarette smoke from my ex's chain smoking! Yuck! But it looks so great when it's done doesn't it. Oh and it's "on the balcony". I hadn't realized how difficult prepositions were until I started helping my DIL with her English!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be on top of my prepositions when I was younger and still studying English as a student. Nowadays, not so much. Thanks for the tip. And yes you are right, there is no such thing as cleaning a section of something.

      Delete