About Me

Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Back to Square One! Or not?

Ugh! This has been such a whirlwind of a day.

As you may know, I am working part-time as a headhunter. I have been trying to fill a position for the last 8 weeks or so. 

The Customer is a technology company and my candidate was a highly competent technical lady. She has passed all the interviews with flying colors but, thit the wall in the assesment. The position is a technical managerial position and apparently her management skills were not sufficient. Anyway, the boss wanted to work with her so, he went out of his way to make this deal happen.

Meanwhile, an economic crisis happened in December and the inflation rate sky-rocketed quickly. Everybody lost their minds and people started changing jobs for extraordinary pay levels in technology. Then, companies started offering high increases in pay levels to stop their employees from leaving their jobs.

Today, finally the Customer prepared it's offer to my candidate and she refused it! I tried to show her that the offer was indeed a good one but, she wouldn't budge. She made a counter offer that has been rejected by the Customer. My efforts? Down the drain! Ugh!

I decided to bury my sorrow in pizza and dozed off after dinner. Carbs you know...

I woke up to my phone ringing and realized that the caller was the candidate! She told me, she considered the offer again and talked to her husband and decided to take it! Say what? How childish is this? How unprofessional? Instead of flatly refusing the offer and making a ridiculuous counter offer, ask for a day to consider it. Discuss it with whoever you want to discuss it with. This is not child's play. 

I told her, I will relay the info to my friend who is the owner of the business. She has a friendly relationship with the boss who wanted to hire this candidate.

My friend called the boss and told him that "we" tried to change the candidate's mind and that she would take the offer. 

If I were the boss, I would not although I do hope, they will because, this way I can be paid, too. Otherwise, it is back to square one. If she gets hired, I am sure there will be some bitter feelings towards her at least for a while. 

What do you say dear blogosphere friends?

8 comments:

  1. That is so immature. She may get the job but won't last there long with that attitude. She probably went home and her husband and her realized that there is no one else waiting to offer you a job! Ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that she may not last there very long but, actually she had this offer, a freelance offer with a larger pay with risks attached and her current job where she is compensated well but, less than the offer. Each situation will take her to a different direction in her career. Her ultimate decision should have been based on where she wants to go.

      Delete
  2. If I were the one hiring, this behavior would cause me to rescind the offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Me too. It is almost 6 p.m. here and the offer has not been submitted in writing yet. So, may be that is what is happening. Who knows?

      Delete
  3. wow - wonder what kind of employee she will make? How long has she been with her current job?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About two years. Honestly, I had my doubts about sending her but, she is technically very competent and the boss liked what he heard.

      Delete
  4. I'd say that candidate proved herself already to be very unprofressional - but I hope she takes the job so you can get commission!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The official offer is submitted. As soon as she signs it, I will be semi-relieved. I am sure, her current employer will offer to increase her salary or give her the management role they have not been giving her.

      Delete