About Me

Saturday, February 5, 2022

The Patient is doing well and Miscellaneous items post

I spoke to my BIL and he is doing fine. My sister did some online shopping for him and a few friends of theirs will be taking him some homemade soup and food. He seems to be all set. He told me he has been watching the Winter Olympics.

I hope, he got a real mild case of it and will test negative soon. He probably got the Omicron because, he did not lose his sense of smell. His dog nose!

Today is a beautiful day with a clear blue sky. It is 7℃ (45℉). I opened the windows and the fresh air makes me feel really good.

I am in a purging mood so, I took a box and now am gathering things that I feel I do not need or want anymore. Will put the box by the recycling area. I have also found several boxes of business cards in my name for 3-4 companies I have worked for. I cut them up along with some loyalty cards that I do not need anymore. Everything is on my cell phone nowadays. Getting rid of some old paperwork as well as no longer needed training documentation, notes and etc. "One day, may be they will come handy" stuff as I call them. I decided they haven't come lately in such a long time that, I do not think they ever will.

The other day I bought a sturdy cardboard box at IKEA. I will store knick knacks, things on display on the TV unit and in other places that look cluttered. Most of them have some sentimental value so, I am not getting rid of them for good. I plan to store them in a closet. May be this will give me the opportunity to finally get rid of the TV unit and get a new one. We'll see. I think I bought it in 1998. Few years ago, I painted it with chalk paint and it looks OKish. However, I am so tired of having it for so many years. 

I have not budgeted my part-time income from the headhunting business. So, when I get paid (meaning if all goes well and the candidates are hired), I have decided to gift myself a robot vacuum cleaner and set aside a budget for a brand new computer. I do not intend to buy a new computer till this one kicks the bucket but, earmarking a certain amount will be nice considering that my current laptop is 5 years old.

I also have been thinking about my durable goods lately. My fridge and dishwasher were bought back in 2004 and my washing machine, in 2011. The stove top and the oven are pretty new. 5 years old or so. Everything is in perfect working order right now and these are durable goods, so they must last a long time although, nowadays they are not as well built as they used to be. Checking the current prices for these (yikes!), I decided to allocate a small amount in my budget every month, to come up with an emergency fund just for the durables. Or I may use the income from the headhunting job if all goes well.

Had an egg salad sandwich on a roll for lunch and will be having a piece of salmon, brussel sprouts and a salad for dinner. The eggs wre supposedly medium sized but, I think they came from young chicks because they were pretty small. Probably the second time in my life that I ate three eggs. I soaked some chick peas and will be cooking them later on to make hummus, use on salads and etc. I also made a small pot of veggie soup.

You see, this is a day of thinking and making decisions, plans, cooking and purging. I guess I am at Spring Cleaning 101 phase. 

How is your weekend so far?




10 comments:

  1. The stuff they make now is purposely made to break in less than 10 years. My neighbor has a refregirator from the 70,s that works perfectly, mine broke after 3 years. The old one worked perfectly but It was discarded when i renovated my kitchen. Very quiet week end here. I am waiting for Omicron to end ( numbers are down tremendously here in the north east) to start meeting with friends. I am cooking Fesenjoon for dinner. It.s a Persian dish made from chicken, walnuts, and pomegranate concentrate, served over basmati rice. Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fesnjoon sounds yummy. Next time I buy chicken I should try it. I always have walnuts and pomegranate concentrate on hand. I use it only for salads though. Never used it for a meal. Thank you for the idea Farah!

      Delete
  2. So glad your BIL is doing well. Sounds like a lovely & relaxing/productive weekend! I'll be taking kids to activities, hopefully doing some organizing, & also squeezing in some relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Weekends are busy for you. Glad you will make time to relax.

      Delete
  3. Good point about looking around and seeing what may have to be replace. My computer and car are both quite old and we are hoping both run until the chip shortage causing shortages of both along with long waits is over with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt if I will ever be able to afford a new car. Thankfully, mine is only 5 years old with only about 42K miles on it. The way cars are taxed in this country, it is ridiculuous.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad your BIL is doing ok. I had missed yesterday's post so here's to a quick recovery for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna. He is doing fine and resting.

      Delete
  5. So glad to hear that BIL is doing OK. I'm sure you were stressing for a bit there. Thankfully he listened to you to get tested. I think this is going to be our reality for the foreseeable future - that we will all have to keep an eye on each other, & speak up when we need to. It's freezing here in midwest USA, we just had 12 inches of snow & it was 5 degrees F when we got up this morning! Burrrrr! But, we have a great fire going in the fireplace (actually too hot!) & I'm baking cookies! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Snow, Fireplace and cookies sound perfect to me. Keep warm and safe!

      Delete