About Me

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

COVID-19 on the rise again

In this country the COVID-19 has been handled fairly better than some other countries at the beginning. We had shelter-in-place orders, mandatory mask wearing in populated cities, lock-down on weekends and on a few other times along with travel restrictions. 65+ citizens and kids younger than 18 had to stay home for several weeks. Their needs were met by local authorities and volunteers. Most businesses allowed peope to work from home and high risk people who worked for government offices had paid leaves. My sister is one of those who did not go to work for 54 days starting March 20th. Restaurants, cafes, hairdressers, barbers and many non-essential businesses were closed.

Then the Government decided to open the businesses since the economy is tanking and the tourism sector was hit really badly. And of course summer came with everybody looking forward to beach vacations. 

People started ignoring wearing masks and social distancing. They started attending wedding parties, beach parties and crowded get togethers. Lo and behold, the Covid-19 cases are on the rise again! 

They say the ICUs are filling up again. Today my cousin who has MS went to see her doctor due to a recent attack and she needs to get cortizone intravenously for 5 days. The doctor told her it would be very dangerous if they did it at the hospital because the risk of exposure is so high nowadays. He also told her never to leave home at least for a month because, the cortizone has an adverse effect on the immune system and she is very susceptible to any kind of virus, germ, whatever.

Today, I had to go to a local government office to finally transfer the deed of my mom's apartment to my sister and me. My BIL called last night to ask me not to go. He has seen some of those offices where they live and he thought they were overly crowded. I assured him that I would not walk in if there were crowds. Luckily, they were observing the rules strictly and I was able to take care of the business. 

Wearing a mask is mandatory but, it is not enough. Washing the hands with a bar soap for the duration of at least two Happy Birthday songs and social distancing are also important aspects of taking care of ourselves.

I hope people will go back to being careful. 




6 comments:

  1. All I can say about here is ditto. This week I have seen Facebook post form 2 of my cousins. One was for a baby shower (everyone was close and unmasked and it was a huge party) Another was from a party for my cousins daughter. She is going to be a senior in high school and the picture showed about 70 kids in a huddle (all unmasked) I am tired of being so careful when those around me are being so cavalier about the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are not as responsible as they should be. So, I guess we will have to protect ourselves from them.

      Delete
  2. People are getting lax here as well, too many not taking it seriously, one of our states has just gone into complete lockdown again for 6 weeks to try and get it under control. My daughters dr has told her not to take steroids (for asthma) unless she really can't avoid it for the same reasons. I wonder when or if we will ever return to normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking shelter-in-place orders will again become effective at least for the weekends come Fall. As for returning to normal? The Plague went on for 7 years when world was not this populated and when people travelled a lot less. Honestly, I am not very hopeful.

      Delete
  3. If only people would wear masks and social distance! It's such a mess and it could have been different. Like Anne in the kitchen, I'm tired of being careful when so many don't care, but I will continue to mask up and stay home, because I do care. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I had to go out very frequently during the last week because of inheritance issues such as transferring deeds, phone, cable and etc. I am heading home tomorrow and I am thinking of not going out at least for a week may be more.

      Delete