About Me

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Found Motivation

Yesterday night, I was talking to a very old friend of mine. We grew up in the same neighborhood, our dads were colleagues and moms were friends. We know each other since we were three years old or so. Now, that is an old friend right? Lol!

She is a bit depressed too because she lost her mom and dad within two years. She was very close to her mother like I was and she misses her very very much. She just got retired and due to COVID-19, she cannot do any of the things she wanted to do.

We were just chatting about how much stuff needs to be done around our homes and how we felt like we did not want to do them. I have a closet full of shoes, suitcases and who knows what else. She said, she needed to go through her clothes and we were laughing at ourselves. She said well, you go tackle your closet tomorrow and I will tackle mine. Let's call each other or at least text as to how we did.

Sounded like a good idea to me.

Today, I started by getting rid of the broken vase that had been stting in a clumsy package by the door for the last two weeks or so. I could not put it with the garbage because I cut myself badly enough as I was trying to make a safe package. I did not want to cause anybody else any harm. So, I asked the apartment complex manager to send someone for me to hand it over. It was a huge glass vase which I absolutely did not need. So, I am kind of glad it is broken and gone.

I also had some stuff that came with the grocery delivery which were being quarantined by the door. That was four days ago so, I put them where they belong. The entrance area got cleared away and I took down the whole closet. Yikes!

I then washed inside of it. Took out all the shoes from their individual boxes. Cleaned them if they needed cleaning and gave each pair a coat of shoeshine. Decided which ones to give away and put each pair in individual plastic bags. They are ready to be donated.

I cleaned the suitcases and travel bags. They collect dust just sitting there and the closet now looks a lot better.

We do not enter our homes with shoes. At the entrance everybody changes into slippers. I need to buy a few pairs of new slippers for when uncle, SIS and BIL visit. The pairs I had for them are worn out but, before I replace them, I am not getting rid of them just yet.

I even cleared a space for the vacuum cleaner. Yay! 

Inspired by One Family One Income, I cleaned my vacuum cleaner thoroughly. It is now good as new. 

Feeling very accomplished today. Tomorrow, I will tackle the little table by the door. I had been dumping stuff on it for quiet a while now. It won't take long. Then I will wash the floors of the kitchen and the entrance.

Tomorrow is mom's birthday. She would have been turning 78. Sigh... I am getting together with a small group of High School friends tomorrow night. I know they will be good  for me.


4 comments:

  1. Remember your mom tomorrow, say her name out loud and thank her for giving you life. Then smile and try to remember her happiest times.
    Now I feel guilty because I am getting nothing but the basics done. I am enjoying Son3 and DIL3 but they have things everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. I will definitely do it. Last year these times, as were coming back to Istanbul from my sister's, we visited a small beach town in which she had a summer apartment for a while. After the visit, she had told me, that was the best day in her life and that I had made her very happy. That is the memory, I will hold on to today.

      Delete
  2. Good job cleaning your vacuum! DH is going to take apart the roller part for me and get that all cleaned out, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That requires a handy man. I cannot dare to take apart that part.

      Delete