About Me

Sunday, March 27, 2022

Normal is so much missed!

During the week, my dad's cousin invited me out for dinner on Saturday. Yesterday she called me to say another cousin on her mom's side and his girlfriend would be joining us. We went to this nice Italian Restaurant and sat outside. The weather was mild and there were heaters. Good food, great wine and lots of laughter and fun stories later, the cousin and his GF left. We went to the apartment and had tea. It was almost midnight before I left.

Driving home at night, coming from a pleasant evening, I felt soooooo very happy! Since we were outside, we did not wear masks. Prior to the pandemic, I used to go out all the time with friends and it was just a very normal thing to do. Last year, I did dine out with friends and my family in the summer but, coming back home at night, driving on the bridge that connects the two continents and having to park the car outside since there were no spots left inside the gated parking lot, felt just so different and welcome. I cannot tell you enough HOW MUCH I MISSED THAT! It brought back tons of good memories. It felt so real!? 

All those little things we take for granted... When they are taken away from us, we understand the value of each. Don't we?

I guess the feeling is partly due to the fact that it has been a long winter. Thankfully, during the last two days there was definitely Spring in the air. The weather report says it will be over 60 degrees Fahrenheit all week long. Yay!

I promised myself enjoy many days outdoors as long as the weather permits this year. I will go out every.single.day!

Oh BTW, dad's cousin's art deco apartment building was built in 1893. The roof tiles were imported from France, Marseilles to be exact. The roof had to be renewed in 1989 so, those tiles lasted just shy of 100 years. They kept a few of them and placed them under new tiles.


6 comments:

  1. We have been going out to eat lately. Of course we will only go to restaurants I feel have spaced seating and few customers, which means we have to go very early or late. Fortunately neither of us mind doing either.
    I want to go to a movie and eat popcorn. It is not the same as streaming one and making my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh a movie and popcorn! I think the last movie I saw at a theater was Joker back in 2019 in NY. After I came back home from the US, COVID hit and you know the rest.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great evening! Isn't it amazing how things were built to last so long and with such beautiful detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! There are amazing details about the building and other buildings built in that era. There was true craftsmanship which no longer exists.

      Delete
  3. You're exactly right. Everything we maybe took for granted before the pandemic seems so joyous now that little by little some of those things are coming back. Hopefully we will never take them for granted again!

    ReplyDelete