About Me

Friday, March 11, 2022

To Avoid Cabin Fever

Predicted snow fall started but, in my area it isn't too bad. Blizzard, open skies, snow starts melting, a strong wind brings clouds, rinse and repeat.

The Mayor keep urging people not to go out if it is not absolutely necessary and since I like him, I do what he says. 

Snow aside, it is very cold outside due to the cold front coming our way from Siberia. They say it is going to get worse over the weekend. 

I am cooking my every meal from scratch, tidying up small areas, reading, taking care of small repairs to avoid cabin fever. I haven't been exercising so, today my treadmill will be happy to see me again.

I am also listening to old radio shows on YouTube. Recently, I got hooked to the Paul Temple series from BBC.

Since I have retired, I started appreciating and feeling sorry for homemakers, SAHMs. Housework is such a bore. All my life I worked and had cleaning ladies, I ate out or ordered food most of the time. Now that, I am too chicken to get a cleaning lady due to COVID and that I am retired, I am home all the time and I am bored. If the virus weren't around I could have at least socialized with people, go out more often etc.

AND THEN, I suddenly remember that there is a war not too far from me and people are dying or desperately trying to save their loved ones and the winters are worse over there. So, I am shutting my mouth and dragging myself to the treadmill. 

This is a time to count blessings, not whine. 

10 comments:

  1. Looking around at others certainly gives us perspective on our own "woes", doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me when I tell you from experience SAHM's don't just hang around the house doing housework. There is always someone who wants you to volunteer your time since you are "not doing anything else"
    Now that I am just a SAH it is much more boring than when I had the M attached to it. Pre-Covid I was still doing some volunteer work and have not gone back to it in person yet, but I am about ready to. (I will be a masked volunteer though) It is just not the same volume of volunteering I did when the kids were in school or involved in various activities.
    Being home alone is so isolating! There are days I have not spoken to another human until TheHub gets home in the evening. He is ready to wind down and I am ready for conversations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think SAHs or SAHMs are overworked and underappreciated. All the housework plus the volunteer work plus everybody else's demands on your time, it must be overwhelming. Stay safe and healthy!

      Delete
  3. You are probably a little depressed not because you are retired, but because of the pandemic. You’ll be traveling and seeing friends if this was not the case. Hang in there, things will get better with the spring and Summer coming. I am depressed right now because we do very little in terms of socializing I work only 12 hours e week for 7 months. I was a SAHM for 15 years while my kids were in school. I did go to University to take classes. I started taking literature and history just for fun but was disappointed with the level of the students in the classroom. I am an avid reader and found the class more elementary school than University material. Then I turned. To chemical engineering ( my major before coming to the states). When I finished, I landed an adjunct job teaching Math which turned into a full time later at the same University
    I have about 5 months off. It’s the best job ever but still I am getting weary of it because the student’s focus has dropped dramatically in the last years. Now, I am getting ready to take my retirement but I am a little scared too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can keep on working for only 12 hours a week, I would continue to do so. Can you take your retirement and continue working on these terms? That would be the best.

      Delete
  4. The only time in my life I had a cleaning lady was after I had my son and went back to work. It was so nice to come home to a clean house. I think I was able to do it for about 6 months, but then some other expense hit our budget and I couldn't afford it any longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The standards of living in our countries are so different. Hiring a cleaning lady does not make a dent in the budget over here. Labor is inexpensive comparatively speaking. Owning a vehicle on the other hand, is a huge money pit. Gas prices doubled here during the last two months.

      Delete
  5. Well I guess cabin fever is to be expected what with covid and winter so don't be too hard on yourself. It happens to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know. I will go out tomorrow rain or shine because I do not have any fresh vegetables or salad fixings left.

      Delete