About Me

Friday, March 4, 2022

Stocking up on food and Miscellaneous Ramblings

The other day, I was commenting on One Family One Income's post on Doomsday Prep that if either party used nuclear weapons, due to our proximity, I wouldn't have much longer to live and that I wasn't stocking up on food much. 

I honestly do not know stocking up on food would be beneficial but, just in case the supply chain may be broken at some point in the near future due to the war and rapidly increasing prices, I decided to replenish at least what I have already consumed and then some. So, I ordered some dry beans, lentils and chick peas. Also bought some canned tuna and some other canned fish. Other than that, I do not know what else to buy or how much. I do not want to end up with 3 years worth of legumes/pulses and canned fish. 

I do not consume much flour or sugar but still, may be I could buy a little extra. Powdered milk may be something to keep on hand although I normally never use it. I guess if the supply chain stays intact, I may use it in baking before it expires and gets wasted. 

I buy 19 liter (5 gallon) bottles of water at home. I always have an extra bottle and as soon as I finish one, I order a new one. Should I get extra bottles? How many? Should I get 1.5 liter bottles? Again how many? I hate uncertainty.

I am thinking that keeping some extra cash on hand may be useful too. 

Ugh! I hate politics, wars and people who feed on them. Now seems to be a great time for an alien invasion for unity of world nations but, where are those darn aliens? Oh yes, they are a lot more intelligent than us and cannot be bothered with the stupidity of humans. They probably wouldn't care to eat us because we are feeding ourselves so poorly.

Today was a rainy and cold day so, although I intended to go out, I decided to stay put. Then I checked the weather report and for the next 5 days, it will always be rainy and around 3-5 ℃ (37-40 ℉). So, the spring I smelled in the air was in my brain, not in the air.

The Government lifted the requirement of wearing masks outside. They say if the space is well ventiated indoors, masks will not be mandatory. How will anyone know whether a specific place is well ventilated or not? Ha?

They also lifted the use of the code that you needed to provide to enter banks, malls and such. Such stupidity! I do not care. I will keep on wearing a mask and staying away from people. I am just so worried about my SIS. Working at a bank, with a chronic autoimmune condition... Sigh...

I must have slept on my left arm I guess. It wasn't so bad in the morning but, now it is killing me. I cannot lift it over my head. I applied some sort of ointment but then, I realized that stuff expired in 2018. Ugh! I thought I had cleaned out the medicine drawer. 

8 comments:

  1. I always have an overstocked kitchen, but I have noticed shortages of odd items like saltine crackers. I decided to stock a few things to have on hand just in case of supply chain issues. I am not going crazy, but added another bag of flour and sugar and a few cans of chicken and tuna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just so difficult to decide on what to stock. Tuna, some canned items and legumes/pulses always come to my mind.

      Delete
  2. I do the same thing I buy a lot more lentils and chickpeas than beans. A few cans of tomatoes, few cans of tuna, anchovies. I think that Some people overstock their pantry because they live in rural areas where it’s not easy to get to the stores in a bind. I live close to at least 3 supermarkets. We have and waste way too much food in this country.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! I hate food waste. Today, I ended up having a cup of tea with milk just because I had a little milk leftover and I just couldn't bear spoiling it.

      Delete
  3. Due to the risk of earthquakes and disruption due to wildfires we keep enough water for at least 3 days plus food, toiletries & paper goods that would keep us alive if not happy for the same or more amount of time. I'm more worried about power being out and being unable to cook, sanitize or stay warm. We also keep at least half a tank of gas in the car at all times. The Russian invasion and focus on civilian targets is awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we hear bad news from Ukraine. I see some companies posting their losses on LinkedIn. If men did not rule the world, I am sure it would've been a better place.

      Delete
  4. I think it would be wise to keep some cash (well hidden) because if the internet went down or we were in some way blocked out of our accounts (see Canada, Russia), we could be in trouble. Hope your arm feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Arm is doing better but, I should be careful and remember that now I am 55, not 25 so, no more heavy lifting for me. I took your advice and withdrew some cash to keep at the apartment.

      Delete