About Me

Monday, March 7, 2022

Snow Prediction

They say a big snowstorm is coming our way on Wednesday and it will possibly be the worst since 1987. I wasn't living in Istanbul back then so, I do not know what to expect. I did my grocery shopping and ordered water.

During grocery shopping today I noticed that, people were shopping like crazy not only because of the snow prediction but, because of sky-rocketing prices. These days the sunflower oil price has been increasing and I saw people bulk buying sunflower oil. They were buying multiples of 3 liter- 5 litre bottles and cans. For a split second, even I considered grabbing a 2 liter bottle but, then I reminded myself that I never use sunflower oil. Lol! Must be psychological. Glad I did not buy it. 

I use olive oil and butter exclusively. Nothing else. 

I try not to eat much bread so, I bought a package of whole wheat tortillas. I freeze them and they do not take up much space. 

My arm is still bothering me although, it is much better now. So, I did not buy too much stuff and used my shopping bag trolley. I also have a foldable utility cart that I can use. I have no idea why I do not use them and lift heavy bags. 

I needed to send two packages but, I totally forgot so, hopefully I will do that tomorrow before the snow.

6 comments:

  1. Your sunflower oil story reminds me of my dh last week with the offer to buy a half hog - I'm like you don't eat ham, pork chops or bacon! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remembered that. In some respects, your DH and I could be kindred spirits. Lol!

      Delete
  2. You're so right about why buy sunflower oil when you don't use it anyway. It's an easy trap to fall into isn't it. And I hope your arm feels better soon! Good luck with the snow - yuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all ready for the snow. When they exaggerate like that, it is usually not bad. We shall see.

      Delete
  3. I use canola oil for sautéing onions and garlic and complete with extra virgin olive oil at the end. I don’t buy regular olive oil. I read some time ago that olive oil loses its propriety in high heat. For French dishes I use butter. Back in North Africa, we use ghee sometimes instead of butter. It doesn’t burn when you used it as it’s butter that is salted and clarified. Hope the snow will not impact you too much. Stay safe inside.




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canola oil is not a thing in this country. Soy bean oil was becoming ppular in the late 90's but, that quickly died down. Some people use some nut oils in small quantities but I am a Extra Virgin Olive Oil and real butter gal. Lol!

      Delete