About Me

Sunday, June 14, 2020

Alone

Today my SIS and BIL and my uncle left for Izmir and Antalya respectively. I just heard from  all of them that they arrived at their homes, safe and sound.

So, I am alone tonight. Trying to keep busy. I sew a mask today. It was pretty successful, I must say. I think I will make 20 of them and send 5 to each of my family and keep 5 for myself. The masks we buy are hit or miss. Some are good quality, some are not so, washable masks are better I think.

I have also decided to wash the couch covers. There are two IKEA Ektorp couches in this apartment. I need to put the dishes away and put the rest of the dirt ones in the dishwasher. I will then go to bed.

This apartment has 4 bedrooms. SIS and BIL have the master bedroom, uncle has the one next to that and mom used to have the one next to his. The fourth was sort of like a sitting room where I am currently staying. SIS told me to move to mom's bedroom but, I am not ready to do that. Whenever we come to Ankara, we will stay here. SIS and BIL are trying to decide whether they will ask their bank to place them back in Ankara or not. Apparently, one of them will have to lose her/his title if they move back. I do not know whether they will decide to stay put or not. Till they come back to Ankara for good, this apartment will serve all of us.

SIS and I could not bring ourselves to go through mom's stuff yet. We gave away only a handful of things to BIL's mom's caregiver. I will take two pairs of shoes to Istanbul to give my cleaning lady. They are brand new. Mom never had a chance to wear them.

This week, I have to find a realtor to put my mom's old apartment on sale. It has been vacant since November. We always thought mom would recover, come back home and tell us what she wanted to do with it.

I also want to see a few friends before I leave. We shall keep our social distance of course.

Ever since, the normalization started, the Covid-19 numbers started creeping up. People are either stupid or ignorant. If the numbers go up, I am sure the travel restrictions will come back and the shelter-in-place orders will be in effect pretty soon. When I go back home, I will limit myself to one outing per week and will not let my guard down. No restaurants, malls, crowds or vacation this year. I may go visit family come September. I do not want to visit them before September because both cities are too warm and I cannot stand heat. My apartment is the coolest place among all the places we all have.

Gotta hang the laundry and hit the sack. It feels weird to be alone after being with family for weeks.


5 comments:

  1. I am so sorry and feeling everything you are going through. Prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. T'Pol,
    One day at a time. It is good that you will see friends and take time to do something fun, relaxing, enjoyable just for you! You need some laughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you don't have to go through your mom's things right away. My sister-in-law made washable masks with filters for us. Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We use our own washable masks, so much better than the others I've seen. Take your time with your Mom's things, there is no rush. Yes, people are both stupid and ignorant but this is all around the world, not just in Turkey. And when the numbers get lower like here, the stupidity and ignorance ramp up then so do the numbers unfortunately. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. do things at your own pace, theres no rush to go through your Mums things. It took me several years to get through it all & it was very emotional and draining. take care xx

    ReplyDelete