About Me

Monday, June 22, 2020

Back Home to Winter?

It has been almost three months since I have not been home. Finally, I loaded my car, dropped mom's old apartment keys at a realtor and signed a contract, visited old neighbors who had been my parents' best friends way back when I was a baby and drove back to Istanbul.

As soon as I opened the door, I was greeted with a musty smell, two pairs of winter boots and coats on the rack. As I opened the windows, I realized that my thick comforter was on the bed. It felt like my home is frozen in time and it is still winter.

A whole season went by and I feel lost. During my five hour drive, I cried a little, listened to an audiobook a little.

Outside of my apartment the damn hydrangeas are in full bloom. They have not been blooming for the last 6-7 years due to a poor trimming job and mom had been looking forward to their blooming every year. Well, this year they are gorgeous and mom can't even see them! How is that fair?

My BFF says, I should take it as a sign that she found Dad and they are happy again. It sounds good especially, I was begging for a sign to know that she is well just yesterday.

Sigh... Life will be very different.

The apartment is very dirty. The windows need washing and a detailed cleaning job is a must. I think, I will call the cleaning lady after all despite the Covid scare. I should find a way to keep safe. May be I can clean my own room and confine myself to my room while she is cleaning? Any ideas?

10 comments:

  1. I think the blooming flowers can be seen as your parents letting you know they are indeed together again, and wanted to share that beauty with you.

    as for the cleaning lady, you can definitely self isolate while she is in the apartment with you, and make sure she is feeling ok before she comes over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, those blooming flowers are a sign from your dear mom :) Glad you are home and hope you can find some comfort being in your own home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to be home too but, it does feel strange.

      Delete
  3. As long as your cleaning lady wears a mask and you too both of you should be ok? That's what my Mom does with her cleaning lady although things are much different here with lower amount of cases. I agree with your friend, maybe your Mom knew you needed a sign and the flowers were just the thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea for us both to be wearing masks. Thank you Cheapchick.

      Delete
  4. T'Pol,
    I too think the beautiful blooming hydrangeas should be viewed as a happy sign. The sooner you are settled back home the sooner you can start to heal and adjust. Mothers want their children to be happy and well so enjoy the hydrangeas for both of you. Think of it as your mother's gift to you! We've made the decision to have our cleaner come back with the thought that if we all wear masks, leave shoes outside, and occupy different spaces things should be better than my less than stellar cleaning skills. Yes, I will still go around and use disinfecting wipes on door knobs, light switches, remotes, etc right after she leaves just to feel better, but I cannot wait until she is back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wiping down those surfaces is a good idea. Thank you! I will also have her leave all the windows open while she cleans.

      Delete
  5. I would suggest you provide the mask for the cleaning lady as well as a bottle of hand sanitizer for her use before she enters your home. When we have the estate sale at Mom's we are not letting anyone in unmasked or without sanitizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I will do that. Thank you Anne.

      Delete