About Me

Thursday, May 9, 2019

Cold May and Errands

So far, we had only 3 nice days in May. It is mostly cold, rainy and overcast. When this happens, the summer comes with a vengeance and it gets to be very hot. Good thing that my apartment is usually cool and even on hot days, I can get by with a fan. I have no A/C and it would cause a lot of inconvenience to install one.

Thankfully, what started as an overcast day became warm and sunny today. I went out to get my electricity subscription for the apartment in Ankara cancelled. They told me I would be getting a refund on the subscription fee. Then I sent the signed rent agreement back to the real estate agent. With the economy this bad, I sort of knew that it wouldn't be sold but, at least now it is generating a little income instead of sucking maintenance fees.

I remembered that I ran out of bread, onions, yogurt and tomatoes. So, I went into the grocery store to get them. Came home, made a cup of coffee and enjoyed my dates and walnuts with that.

As I type this I am watching a stupid Turkish Reality show on TV. Some people are plain idiots and unfortunately, they elope at young ages to get married r to live together, have multiple kids they cannot take care of, cheat on their spouses (with multiple people) and cause all sorts of trouble. The kids' lives are ruined forever. Ugh!

I used to have a hobby box from way back. I will dig it out to see what is in there. I want something to keep me busy during the day. Not having to work is nice but boring. There is also a project that I had been thinking about for a long time. It is about designing a training on contract management. I have lots of information, sample contracts and books scattered around. I should also pull them together, brush up my outline and get started. However, it is a serious project. What I need now is a bit of a fun thing.

Today, Expedia offered me a discount on my stay in Tampa Florida in November. Same hotel, same dates. It was USD 50 better for my 5 day stay and I took it. Nice! Canceled the other reservation.

It will be a long road trip from upstate NY to Tampa FL and back. I will be breaking the driving so that I will not drive more than 6 hours which is tolerable for me each day.






8 comments:

  1. It's good that you got your apartment rented, less expenses are better, perhaps in such crappy times real estate is a better investment than money in the bank? The currency seems to be fluctuating. Are tourists still buying apartments in Turkey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right about real estate vs. cash. I think foreigners are still buying real estate especially by the Mediterrenean and Istanbul. They are less expensive due to very strong USD.

      Delete
  2. well, you can always revisit selling it down the road, if the economy improves. I don't watch much reality tv. People are just too strange, LOL. It's been pretty gray and cloudy here all month too. Supposed to change to sun tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of friends are making the Florida to Upstate drive this week as they relocate for the summer. You're going in the opposite direction! I hope that means you'll hit less traffic :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will go down and come back up in November. I will mostly be staying in upstate NY close to Poughkeepsie.

      Delete
  4. I said to dh we should take a trip to Florida next year as we have never been before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been to Orlando to Disney World in 1991. We drove down there from NY. There were two drivers in the car so, we drove all the way down in 21 hours.

      Delete