About Me

Saturday, November 21, 2020

Grocery Shopping

Today, I went to an open market for veggies and fruit. I bought string beans, celery roots, a small cabbage, an avocado, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, tangerines, and two quinces.

Then I went to the grocery store and stocked up on meat. Ouch! That hurt. Meat is so expensive nowadays. Anyway, for at least two weeks if not more, I think I am all set.

Today's menu is Baked Bluefish and Carrot Salad. I shred the carrots and use lemon juice and olive oil for dressing. I also bought some real nice fresh bread too. Easy peasy and yummy!

I am getting sick of cleaning the kitchen, filling and emptying the dishwasher. When I was working there were only dinners I had at home and they were mostly takeout. I would cook over the weekend and the cleaning would be done in one day. I remember using the dishwasher once or twice a week. Nowadays, it is almost everyday.

However, I haven't forgotten the time when we had to actually wash the dishes so, I am never going to be ungrateful. When I was growing up, we did not have a dishwasher. They were too expensive and were not considered a necessity. After dinner, mom would soap the dishes and I would rinse them. It was a mother daughter bonding time. When I started working in the US, my apartment came with a dishwasher. This was in January 1990, when I was not even 23 yet. I fell in love with my diswasher and immediately decided to get one for mom. So, I sent money home to buy a dishwasher as a Mother's Day gift to my mom in May. Although she preferred personal gifts rather than household items, she loved it and appreciated it very much. 


10 comments:

  1. My mother had a dishwasher when we were kids___us!. One of us washed and the other dried and put them away. The washer had to wipe down the counter tops, the table and chairs and the dryer had to sweep. It did not kill us but when I was a preteen they built a new house with a dishwasher. I never griped about putting up the dishes or about washing the pots and pans. (Well not griping is my story and I'm sticking to it whether it's true or something I fabricated)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In terms of chores, my sister and I are totally spoilt rotten. My sister even more so because she is 7 years younger. All I was expected to was to set the table and help bringing the dirty dishes into the kitchen after dinner. Then help mom wash them. That was really all. If I had homework or had to study for an exam, I wasn't expected to lift a finger. May be that is why having to do housework is so terrible for me now.

      Delete
  2. Housework is relentless no matter how well we keep up with it. I try to think of it as I do brushing my teeth but ....

    Machines that wash for us are a blessing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are! Imagine not having a vacuum cleaner or washer?

      Delete
  3. We didn't have a dishwasher until I was about 12 years old. I was an only child so I remember doing lots of washing and drying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, drying dishes was never a thing at our household. I rinsed the dishes under running tap water and put them on a rack to dry by themselves. I still do that when I handwash something that cannot go in the dishwasher.

      Delete
  4. We had never had a dishwasher in England either and we were a large family. When I went to Switzerland when I was 21 my apartment also came with a dishwasher (all for little ol' me) and I wouldn't be without one. Now that my son has moved back in with me I'm also running it every day, whereas before it might have been twice a week. Thank goodness for dishwashers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was the only girl with 4 brothers. I washed all the dishes for lunch and dinner, and was expected to wait on my brothers and father during meals. On weekends, I do all the big cleaning in the house. My mother cooked and washed clothings by hand. I was never allowed to cook but allowed to bake from recipes clipped from French magazines on Thursday afternoon when we did not have school. That is probably the reason I hate housework a love to cook and bake. Well, my mother had a business to run

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, that's a lot of dishes and housework. Must be glad you now have your own life and set your own rules.

      Delete