About Me

Tuesday, November 10, 2020

The Challenge: Pants Edition

Today I took 31 pairs of pants and a pencil skirt out of my two closets and put them on my guest bed.

Here is the picture:


Tomorrow I will select only 6 of them to keep and the rest will be donated. I think, my closet will thank me.

The only resaon why I held on to so many pants was partly because of my weight. My size is not easy in Turkey and I have always been afraid of not being able to find my size when I needed a new pair of pants.

Some of the pants you see have their tags on. So does the skirt. I haven't worn a skirt in at least 15 years if not more. It has a Dress Barn tag on it. 

Some of the pants have been tailor made with real good quality fabric and workmanship. 1-2 may be among the ones kept. Most of them are too small and even if I can be that size again one day, I do not need them since I no longer plan to work full-time. Besides, if I go down two sizes, then it is not so hard anymore and I can find things that will fit me.

Then I sat down and thought more about this. Some of the tailor-made ones were made by my father's tailor. When I was 11-12, dad and I went shopping together and bought a corduroy fabric to have matching pants made. It was so much fun! I always liked to go shopping with dad because, he was just like me, taking his time, looking at different things, understanding the trends and etc. Mom on the other hand, was practical and would buy the first thing she thought was OK at the first store she would walk in.

Then dad continued to order pants for himself for another few years from that place. So, when I went back many years after his passing, the tailors, two brothers recognized me because I look so much like my father I guess. They asked for dad's name and pulled his last measurements from their files. It was a very emotional moment. 

I think part of the reason why I kept the tailor-made ones is just that. Just a tie I still have with dad. I know it is mushy and probably stupid. I will donate the pants. I loved both my parents to the moon and back and I already have their genes in me so, I do not need material things. 

He was only 54 when he passed 26 years ago. If  nothing goes wrong, I will be his age next year. Wow... just wow... The things we bury in our minds and hearts...


14 comments:

  1. Tpol, don’t throw all the smaller size pants. You may need them in the future if you loose weight. I gave away all my smaller sizes, and now all my clothes are too large for me.
    I haven’t been in a store in over 8 months, and not planning to as I really don’t need much at the moment. I will teach on zoom even for spring semester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Farah but they have been in my closet way too long. I think I will do what JJ says.

      Delete
  2. Gosh that's a lot of pants. You've got me beat already! And I get the sentimental attachment to those tailor-made pants. My dad had a small tobacco tin that he threw odd coins in. I would have given anything to have that tin but my brother threw it out! No sentimental value to him then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the tobacco tin. I have a few things my father made (model ships, match collection, few things he painted) and his keychain. He had a Ridgways tin can for coins. My sister has that.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Your post truly touched me today. I too lost my dad when he was 54 and have kept a sweater, shirt and jacket of his. I am 59 now and still can't bear to part with them. Guess I'm just too sentimental. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been lucky to have loving dads whom we loved as much. May both of them rest in Peace.

      Delete
  4. I say there is nothing wrong with keeping one pair of tailor made, one pair of a size too small right now, and the remaining four are your choice. My grandfather is 91, and I asked to keep his coat when he passes - I love it, and adore him so it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JJ, I thnk your suggestion makes sense and that's what I will do. Wish your grandpa many more healthy years with his loved ones.

      Delete
  5. Great plan and insight into how memories and love live inside of us. I have kept one small item or artwork for each much loved one I have lost. Looking at them makes me feel quite happy and remember their love for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to lose people you love. May them all rest in Peace.

      Delete
  6. How about taking one pair of your father's tailor made pants and using that fabric to make a small teddy bear or something similar. It won't take up as much room and when you look at it you'll think of your dad. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pants were made by his tailor. They are not his. I do have quiet a few things dad made such as model ships and his keychain that I hold on to.

      Delete
  7. I am very fortunate. My sentimental item of Dad's was his pipe. It was chrome with a walnut bowl and stem. His name was monogramed on the chrome part and he would hold it in his hand and sort of point with it. My sister and I called it the intimidator. Fortunately when he ordered them he had two made so we both got one. It is funny that he had kept them since he quit smoking one sometime in the 70's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The intimidator! How cute! I am glad you both have one of each.

      Delete