About Me

Friday, April 15, 2022

Facebook Marketplace? Not a chance!

Thank you all for supporting me in my quest to make my home a more livable place with lots of breathing room.

After yesterday's post and after receiving encouraging comments from you, I immediately started my "purging three things a day" project, started gathering stuff that caught my eye and listed a mini music set on Facebook Marketplace. I took pictures of the set and posted it saying that it is only available for pick-up from a certain point (definitely not my apartment complex) in my area.

8 or 9 people showed interest and one said he wanted to come pick it up right away but asked for a discount. I said if the set did not sell at full price till tonight, I would consider his offer. Then, something compelled me to check out this guy's profile and I just ended up blocking him. Fanatical religious fundamentalism is something I stay clear of. 

I went to my Facebook settings and upped my security. 

Someone else said, he will pick up the set at the place I specified today and upon checking his profile, I am selling it to him. And no more marketplace for me again! (But of course, as I write this that guy decided to make it 5:30 p.m. instead of our agreed upon time. Ugh! If he doesn't show up then, I am just putting this darn set in the re-cycling area)..

I need to find donation boxes and places rather than deal with people I do not know.

As for the guy who is going to pick up my music set, I am meeting him by the mini mall by me, right in front of my Pharmacy where everybody knows me since 2004. There is another exit so, I will make sure, I cannot be followed. May be I am being too much of a chicken but you never know.

Yesterday, I took out some of the stuff in the below picture that I would like to part with:


Two old wallets, a porcelain box for trinkets, an ash tray and 4 egg holders I never use. A ceramic creamer. A vase and it's ceramic base. 4 Turkish coffee cups. It was a set of 6 and I almost never drink Turkish Coffee at home. I kept two and will be donating the four. Mom had given me those so, that is why I am keeping the two. A mug given to me by a friend with whom I have stopped talking. 2 elephants gifted by the same friend. A small angel doll collecting dust. 3 raki glasses. I rarely drink the stuff. It was a set of 6 and I am keeping 3 in case my family comes to visit and drink raki. Uncle did, when he was here. The small vase with the valentine bear was a gift from an ex and I do not know why I kept it. 

I wish we had a Goodwill like place. The donation places here usually take practical items. So, decorative items may go to waste.

After I post this, I will fish out the shoes I will be donating. I think I have also found three more decorative items taking up too much space and collecting dust. Will post their pictures later to share my commitment you.

Once again, thank you for supporting me! Have a great weekend!


8 comments:

  1. Here our local police dept suggests Marketplace transactions with unknown individuals take place in their parking lot. I have not done that yet, but my sister goes with me and I meet in the parking lot of a very busy gym.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the guy who showed up to pick up the music set was a nice person but, from now on, I am not doing this. I do not need the money from selling used items. I just posted that music set at a small cost because, people do not show up for free items.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't do FB marketplace either. You just end up with too much time involved answering peoples questions and they flake out. It's easier to just donate and in the US, take a tax donation deduction. Sounds like you are making great progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. It is hard to deal with people. Not doing it again. Wait for my post tomorrow. You will be proud of me! Lol!

      Delete
  3. I usually meet in a mall parking lot, or if they are selling from their home I do porch pick up. But people are super flaky, so FB Marketplace is annoying too. Safety first!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep I couldn't be bothered with FB market place myself (or anything else like that round here) as I would always get a message from "Jean-Claude, currently travelling in Senegal, and I am very interested in your article (they never specify what "the article" is). They of course want me to ship "the article" and will pay extra to cover postage and the inconvenience. Just scammers trying to get money out of you. Luckily we have both charity shops, a recycling centre and Freecycle here so it's not as bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are recycling boxes here too. Freecycle would be great though.

      Delete