About Me

Thursday, April 7, 2022

New Glasses and a Windfall

Uncle and I went to order our new prescription glasses today. Two pairs for him to read, and one pair to use day long. It took him less than half an hour to try frames and get his measurements taken. I ordered a pair of progressive/multi-focal glasses. It took me more than an hour. Haha! Also, his glasses are ready whereas, mine will be ready in about 10 days. I will get them when I am in Ankara at the end of the month. Also his three glasses cost a quarter of what mine costs. Sigh... Anyway, since this was in the budget, I do not care all that much. However, I am getting a small windfall. Yay! 

Remember the client we had who made us work for weeks on end and who refused all the candidates? We had stopped working for them but, my friend, who is the owner of the business had billed them at 30% per the contract. I wasn't counting on them paying it. I even told my friend that they would probaby not pay. Well, I was wrong. So, the amount of money coming my way is going to cover the cost of the glasses. Isn't that great?

We also visited my cousins at their shop for a while. My older cousin is very tired due to taking care of everything and she needs a vacation. I asked her to come with me to visit uncle early May. I will drive her to Antalya and after a week, she can fly back. They can keep the shop closed for a week. My younger cousin has MS and slightly disabled. Their mother is not too old but, her health has always been a problem.

Yesterday, I was getting ready to meet two old friends when Aunt C (the old lady who was my parents' friend) called me. She told me she fell and banged her back on the kitchen cabinet door and asked me if I could take her to a hospital. I canceled my plans with my friends and rushed to take her to an ER. Since I am not familiar with the hospitals in her area, I took her to a place she wanted and the moment we walked in, I regretted that. An X-Ray and a tomography later, they told us she needed to see a surgeon and told us to wait. She had broken two ribs; one slightly displaced, the other intact. We waited for like 2 hours and found out that the surgeon was actually on leave. I called another hospital and made an urgent appointment with the surgeon there. I had the staff put the X-Ray and tomography results on a CD and took her to the other hospital where, unfortunately my mom had passed. Aunt C told me initially she was going to ask me to take her to the same hospital but decided against it because, she knew it was the hospital where mom died. Such a sweetheart. Well, we had to wait for the surgeon for over an hour because, he was in surgery and it was a complicated one. The surgeon prescribed some meds, told her what type of movements she needed to avoid. After that, I took her home. They told us it will be a bit painful recovery in about two months.

SIS and BIL are coming to Ankara tomorow late at night. It is also SIS' birthday. She is turning 46.  We did not know they were coming so, it is a nice surprise. I guess they also need to take BIL's dad to a doctor. 

It has been awfully busy since I came to Ankara. Tomorrow, I will go to the cemetery and take the day off. No plans with anyone. 

I am sure we will dine out on Saturday as a family. I am also meeting friends in the afternoon.

4 comments:

  1. Nice to get the unexpected money! So, the first hospital wanted to do surgery? Hopefully she will mend quickly. I'm sure the broken ribs are painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the first hospital just wanted her to see a surgeon. Since broken ribs can be harmful for the internal organs, ER doctors don't want to take responsibility. The doctor said the neural network is very close to ribs so, even slightly damaged ribs would hurt a ton.

      Delete
  2. You have been busy!
    You are very kind to be taking care of others and trying to create some vacation time for your cousin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aunt C's older son passed away and her younger lives in the UK. They do not have other family memmers close by to support them. It was a lucky coincidence that I was in Ankara. If I weren't, she probably would have called an ambulance but having someone with you at the hospital is always better. I am glad, I was able to help. As for my cousin, she does need a break. Ever since my older uncle passed, she took over everything in the family. It would be fun to spend some time together.

      Delete