About Me

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Ugh! The prices of fresh produce...

Today, I went out for grocery shopping and I just could not believe my eyes when I saw the fresh produce prices. Honestly, I could not bring myself to buy iceberg lettuce and broccoli. 

I bought spinach roots. Spinach is sold as a whole, leaf only and roots only here. I love spinach roots so, I cut them up and washed them thoroughly as soon as I came home. Cooked it with sauteed onions, sauteed chopped meat, a medium sliced carrot, a handful of rice in tomato sauce. I have this with plain yogurt and it tastes heavenly. You can make it without the meat and serve it cold but, I like the hot dish better. It is going to be today's dinner with leftover salad from my lunch. I am sure there will be at least two more portions for the next few days.

I bought two bunches of chard. I will make rolls with a meat and rice stuffing with some of it and the rest will be sauteed with onions. I also serve this with yogurt or use it as a savory pastry filling or sometimes crack an egg on it for breakfast. I think, some of it will become a pastry filling and I will have the rest with yogurt. I bought Turkish style phyllo dough. 3 of them makes a nice size pie. I will probably freeze half of the pie for later. Need to use up some cheese so, that will go into the pie as well.

Here is a


short video of what I intend to make. It is not in English but, just watching it you will see how easy it is. If there is a Middle Eastern, Greek or Armenian store near you, I am sure you can find this type of phyllo dough. I will use three just like in the video. The filling is a mixture of Turkish White Cheese and chopped parsley but, you can use feta, cottage cheese or, whatever you like as a filling. I will use sauteed chard and cheese as I mentioned.

I think the meat in the freezer will be sufficient till I am back on the road.

I hope summer will bring the prices down. Tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers were ridiculuously expensive. 

I never realized how tired I got during the last couple of weeks. I slept at least 3 hours on the train, came home, dozed off in front of the TV and slept through the night.

Wishing everyone a nice week!

11 comments:

  1. I spent almost $70 Canadian on fruit a few weeks ago... Ridiculous!! I hope the prices drop soon as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pie looks delicious. I have made things with phyllo before but it is a lot more time consuming that I am generally willing to give to one dish. Still it looks pretty spectacular, so who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This type of phyllo is much easier to deal with if you can find it. It takes a very short time to put it together.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. And so easy to put together. It was usually a part of our Sunday brunch growing up. Grandma used to make roll her own phyllo dough which is impossible for me.

      Delete
  4. that pie look really good! Prices are crazy at the moment, $9.50 for a cauliflower here!

    ReplyDelete



  5. On top of inflation, it’s Ramadan where the price of food increases. I love using phyllo for my baking. I use the thicker leaves for savory pies.







    use phyllo in my baking but the trick is to use the thicker leaves for savory dishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was living in the US, I used the thin phyllo sheets two or three at a time for savory pies. Then, we found an Armenian store where they sell the sheets shown in the video.

      Delete
  6. I can't say I am ever able to compare prices because I go to so many different stores/markets depending on my mood, but I noticed a load of empty spaces where the cooking oil is today (although thankfully not olive oil). I don't understand it because surely the E.U. (or at least the southern E.U. countries) can produce enough oil to meet their needs - but then what do I know?

    ReplyDelete